Running Estlcam on macOS

Over the last few months I’ve been poking at getting Estlcam running in macOS (11.6). I’ve never been great with getting wine to work, but I do have a copy of Crossover Office,. which I do realize is wine with a fancy UI.

I finally got Estlcam (v 11) to run under Crossover Office, so I thought I would share. I’m running Crossover version 21.

I created a new Windows 7 bottle, and installed Estlcam. Then I installed .Net Framework 4. I may have installed .NET Framework 2, but I think that was installed automatically as dependency. And I installed GDI+. With those things installed, Estlcam seems to run like a champ. I’ve managed to like 20 different things for milling with this configuration.

Now with this working, my wife will be able to run Estlcam as well.

Here’s a screenshot of what is installed in my Estlcam bottle.

Hope it helps someone down the road.

4 Likes

Thanks for this Kirk. I was about a week off asking a question that you’ve just answered! I am about to embark on the macOS journey and have all but decided to run with KiriMoto, but am still open minded enough to listen.

I’ve had Macs since they were called Lisa and I’m a GUI kind of girl, so I really don’t like the thought of running emulation and having to code or to run <shudder> command line stuff </shudder>.

Can you explain what is meant by “bottle” please? I’ve just had a fifteen minute learning curve so bear with me. I am sure it will become clear as I work my way through what has to be done, but still…

I know there are people on this forum who are running ESTLcam on their neighbour’s toaster in emulation via VMware through two shoe laces, and I have nothing but admiration for them, I will never be one of them, and don’t want that to become my main distraction.

I am happy to pay for software, however it seems to me that by the time I tangle with Crossover then EstlCam, I’ve almost paid for a year’s sub to Easel Pro, and there are doubtless other options (like Kiri Moto) which may be simpler for me to work my way around.

Any input from anyone would be gratefully accepted!

I’m guessing from context that “bottle” is their metaphorical term for virtual machine.

1 Like

It isn’t quite a vm, not even a container. Just the right combination of wine packages.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: Well I know what vm is and now that a “bottle” is what one puts “wine” in, so I presume “container” is like a six pack! There goes the rest of my afternoon - trying to connect it all! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry for the delayed response. CrossOver Office is front end software for Wine, which is Windows Emulation, originally developed to run Windows applications in Linux. A bottle is exactly what every surmised above – it is the emulated windows environment (WinE goes in a bottle after all).

The nice thing about CrossOver Office, and why it is worth the price IMO, is that is removes all of the command line fiddly bits from Wine, if you want it to.

I’m comfortable on the Command Line, but my end goal is a way for my wife to use Estlcam without having to open a terminal. And CrossOver office gets me there.

CrossOver Office has a free 14 day trial. I bet that you can probably have Estlcam running in it with a few minutes of poking around. When you first install it, it should walk you through installing something. Estlcam is unknown software to CrossOver Office, so don’t be alarmed by that. You point it to the Estlecam installer, and let it do it’s thing. Then, you’ll need to install ore packages, which you can do my right clicking on your Estlcam bottle, and choose install packages. Everything in my screenshot should be available to install directly without any additional manual downloads.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what defines an emulator. And wine certainly seems to be one. But the name WINE is a recursive acronym that stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. Just a fun fact.

1 Like

Touché. I had forgotten that.

But it really is an emulation layer. Kind of like LAME is an MP3 encoder, despite the recursive acronym.

Either way though, it works. And it is something that I think my wife will be able to use. At least as soon as I finish the 110v electrical on my Primo.

1 Like

Will you marry me? :rofl: Terrifyingly in this household I am the one who takes care of things technical, and I do a great job if I do say so myself, as long as there is a neat GUI and a clear set of instructions, but I am slowly learning.

See what I did there? I used an acronym! I’m playing with the big kids!

Thanks for you patience guys, you might drag me over the line yet!

2 Likes

An update to what I wrote here. Be sure to use 32 bit windows, and 32 bit Estlcam.

Once you get it all up and running, I recommend making an archive of the bottle and stashing it for safe keeping.

1 Like