Say hello to my Lowrider

Hi,

its time to share some of the pics of my machine based on the Lowrider CNC. My intention was to be able to cut full sized sheets of plywood, 2500mmx1250mm. I wanted the machine to be easily disassembled to make room in the garage, but the XZmain pieces were falling apart after taking the whole assembly off the table. So I redesigned parts of the machine and used some rectangular steel tubes cut to size and welded everything together (I know its called Mostly Printed CNC, but for me this was the best way to go)
While doing this, I also switched to Nema23 steppers for Z and Y-axis, X-axis is still Nema 17.
Machine control is done by a SKR V1.3 and TMC5160 drivers, as shown in Teaching Techs videos- but it still took a long time to get this thing running.
Milling is done by a brushless spindle (if you want to buy one: it has to have tree wires coming out of the motor!) which works fantastic and is really quiet compared to other motors. I am using a cable drag chain for the X-axis and spindle cable.
The table, which is roughly 3 meters long, can be divided in half for easy storage and the legs can be removed.
I also came up with a super simple way to attach the timing belts, by using some aluminium brackets at the front faces.
At the moment, I am doing some test runs.
Estlcam 8 seems to work fine without any problems so far (I did some changes in the settings as mentioned somewhere her in the forum), but with Aspire 9 there are some issues.
I tried the Marlin_mm_test processors 3,4 and 5 and did some changes there too, I also tried to change the speed settings in Aspire and the current settings in the firmware, but still the z-Axis stops working from time to time, sometimes only one side, sometimes both sides, only to start working again after a while……
I checked the TMC driver- and motor temperature, connectors, cable, no result so far - maybe I just stick with Estlcam. We will see. Overall, I am quite impressed by performance of the machine and the accuracy which can be achieved with a setup like this.

17 Likes

Sorry, only allowed to post one picture as a new user.

Great looking purpose-built table. It will serve you well.

If I had room I would also build a full size router.

Thank you. Here`s another picture, one at a time:

4 Likes

4 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

10 Likes

Dude, that’s pretty slick!

It has an industrial look to it. Very nice job.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks a lot!

This thing looks great. Does it still pack up pretty easily? Very nice work on the finish and cable controls, I had to look twice to see the lr2 bits.

Pretty ! If you are having trouble with your Z axis you could try lowering your max feedrate and acceleration I think it’s kinda aggressive by default and it’s possible some of your software is exceeding what the machine can handle.

Thanks! The gantry cannot be disassembled, its one piece, but its quite narrow, so I can put it on a shelf. And the table, when I remove the legs and part the frame, it can be leaned somewhere against a wall.

Thanks, I will try!

Super clean build, nice work!

Can I ask where you sourced your brushless spindle and BL controller? I have one of the cheap 500W DC spindles and while it works it would be nice to know of an upgrade path.

Hi Charles,

I got the spindle from amazon here in Germany, but you can also get it from ebay, depending where you are living. Make sure its the one with 3 wires coming out of the motor, although the ones with two wires look quite similar, they are NOT brushless! It came as a set, with contoller, potentiometer, switch and ER16 chuck. It`s 500 W and 12000 rpm at 48 V, so I used a DC-DC converter to feed it from the 24V power supply I use for the main controller board.

Thanks, I guess these are starting to show up on amazon now. I’ve now spotted two that are only nominally priced over the cheaper DC brethren. No reviews yet.

How’s the runout? That’s my primary concern with my existing spindle. I’m still learning so I don’t even have a dial gauge to measure it with [yet] :slight_smile: