Screwdriver holder

If you find a good tutorial, please share. The problem I had was that they were not aimed at doing precise work in Inkscape.

Hi there,

Interesting exchange. Enough to motivate me again to cut off some time from other projects and finish my mpcnc, first design generation. Hubert, you seem to live in Germany too, correct? I am near Kiel.

As an entry level 2D CAD program, I can recommend QCAD. Worth to look at it. Postprocessing is then best done with ESTLCAM.

Cheers,

Ulli.

What gave you that impression? Felo and Wera screwdrivers? Knipex pliers? My English grammar? The time stamps on my posts? Maybe the filename of the picture I posted? Well, all completely misleading clues to my true location. I actually visit Japan more often these days than I do Germany, that’s why the douzuki saw!

I live in the USA. But I did grow up (mostly) in Germany.

Enjoy building your MPCNC, it is a really fun project.

I have finally gotten around to trying out a couple of single flute bits, with mixed results.

I tried a 1/8" single-flute up-cut on my MPCNC cutting pine, and it worked wonderfully. It reduced the vibration and noise that I had from a similar, two flute bit. I’m sticking with it for my MPCNC routing.

I also tried a 1/4" single-flute in my Shapeoko 3, and the result wasn’t as good. The S3 has the rigidity and torque to push a 2-flute upcut through softwood relatively fast – 55 IPM or so at 17,000 RPM, and my dust collection does a good enough job keeping the slot clear that it cuts clean. Moving to a single-flute bit, GWizard recommended dropping back to 30 IPM at 17,000 RPM (in both cases, 1/4" cut depth and 0.1" step-over). It cut more or less fine, but took way longer, and the finish wasn’t as good as my 2-flute. Probably this is just because I didn’t spend time tweaking and perfecting speeds and feeds like I did with my “go-to” bit, but the much lower feed rate means it doesn’t make sense on a machine that can go faster without chattering.

So in the end, the single-flute exhibited what I read it should… less vibration because it only has one face in contact with the stock at a time. With the MPCNC this translated into cleaner cuts. On the S3, it merely translated into slower cut times (at least in softwood). I bet in a harder material where the S3 is once again limited by stiffness, a single-flute bit would work better for the same reasons it worked better on the MPCNC.

1 Like

Oh nice some serious screwdrivers - especially the wooden wihas that wont ruin over time (unlike the rubber ones). Total thumbs up for the rack and screwdrivers! I would show you my rack but its embarressing compared to this. Guess I better get on with my mpcnc