Second CNC!

Hey everyone im about to make my MPCNC Primo but im really thinking of two things that will help the strength of the machine like the Z axis measurements and also what size tubing to use on my new build . Lastly what’s an ideal motor (5reasonable priced motors)setup for an primo build sized about 1000mm X 900mm . Im in canada and im using a 1" conduit because it will help it when it comes to rigidness/ satiability . Please if y’all got any better builds im open to the feed back can yall help out an hobbyist please Even if someone is selling their own ! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

1in conduit is not 1in OD. Somebody started modding parts for it, but I think that was the burly.
The motors recommended by V1 and sold in the shop are more than adequate. You’ll start getting flex before missed steps become a problem.
Good luck!

Okay thanks i forgot to mention ill be cutting plastics and woods about 6-12mm depth i would like to go through . Also is there a recommended spindle because a router may be way to noisy sir . What are the \ideal sized conduits that work great for the primo build @turbomacncheese?/

The 660 is recommended. If you go with a spindle, spend for the quality you want. I don’t know that any of them are necessarily quieter than others, and probably anything over 500W is powerful enough for wood and plastic. I’m using a 611 and I can recommend it if you have one spare or free, but not for a scratch build.
If a router is “way too” noisy, then the sound of the material cutting and or your shop vac may be just “too” noisy. None of this is quiet stuff.

2 Likes

if you may can you please just send a link so i have a idea what number pertains to what materials / products @turbomacncheese

I’ll defer to folks who have done the shopping recently for spindles. I might even take notes :slight_smile:

1 Like

alright thanks but whatt about the conduit sir @turbomacncheese

At that size, definitely take 1 inch. But make sure you are measuring the OD (as with tubing), and not the inner (as with pipe and conduit).

I think the final count is that SS > DOM > mild steel, but between the first two, I’d let price be your guide. 0.065 is probably OK for a standard build, but at your size I’d settle for no less than 0.08 in wall (~2mm). I used 0.12" (~3mm) for my build, slightly larger than yours, and I ended up epoxying another tube into the long side.

1 Like

will this work ? conduit 3/4" O.D.1.050

There is a size for 3/4 conduit and it works great at 2ftx2ft and smaller. I think at your proposed size you’ll be disappointed.

1 Like

That is pretty big are you sure you need that? You are better off with a lowrider if you are going to build it that big.

yes i feel like i can do a lot with size also i need a spindle that can cut through plastics & woods what would be suitable you think . im avoiding routers . Lastly what o.d would be ideal for a lowrider im new to the build sir

@vicious1

900mm by 1000mm is getting into LR2 territory.

3/4" conduit is the 23.5mm OD size.

1" steel tube is the minimum that I would consider for that proposed size.

For the Primo, the choices are the 23.5mm (3/4" conduit), 25mm OD (Not readily available here – I’m in Canada too.) and 25.4mm OD (1" steel or stainless steel tubing.) Those are the choices, If you’re going to re-engineer the pieces for another case, I would argue that you’re doing a lot of work for little or no benefit. At least 2 of the existing sizes are readily available.

Home Depot Canada 3/4" EMT conduit

I happen to work for a company that sells structural steel, so I got 1" DOM steel tube. Personally, I don’t think that stainless steel is necessary, unless you’re going to be leaving your CNC machine out exposed to the weather. If you want to be really sure about rust, you can get tool wax reasonably cheaply, which is adequate to prevent rust on steel tube. A little labour cleaning that up isn’t much extra once you’re cleaning dust and chips off of your machine anyway. (Or so I think.)

The motors that V1 sells are fine for the Primo. I have several of these motors from Amazon which I would say are also good.

Some of the stuff is simply easiest to get from the V1 shop, even if you’re paying the shipping cross-border, or so I found.

1 Like

okay but if i do go to LR2 Version what sized spindles can work and do the cuts i know i need over 500w .

Steel tube sizing for LR2 / and if you can add me on insta in case youdont want to put the steel company out there let me know . im still not sure if home depot sells the conduit you mentioned ?

okay but if i do go to LR2 Version what sized spindles can work and do the cuts i know i need over 500w .

Steel tube sizing for LR2 / and if you can add me on insta in case youdont want to put the steel company out there let me know . im still not sure if home depot sells the conduit you mentioned ?

I’d use the same 1" DOM. In fact I’m in the planning stage to build one, and that’ll be what I use.

For the spindle, I’ll probably use the same Makita RT0701C that I’m using for my Primo, but the Dewalt DWP611 is the no-brainer alternative that everything just works as designed.

I think I’ve mentioned the company name, but I generally keep it out of the public area. Keep my personal and work life a little separated, y’know?

1 Like

hey how high should your Z Axis be set at ?

Some people go pretty high.

In terms of the amount of Z movement that you need, I think of it in terms of the length of router bits that you use. Most of mine are good for maybe 25mm tops. That means that with 5mm clearance for X/Y movement, Z travel for any given job needs about 30mm tops.

In a perfect world, where I could raise and lower the table under the gantry at will, that’s probably all that I would use, but since that would require a mechanism that would fast outstrip the cost of the CNC machine itself, the default 81mm is perfectly fine, and allows me to manage most of the material that I’m ever going to cut with the CNC.

I might go further with the LR2, but not much. More Z height is the biggest “weakness” that you will build into one of these machines. Looks like the LR2 default is 89mm, and that’s certainly more than enough to be able to use the full depth of any router bits that I might choose, with almost any material that I might be cutting.

The only time so far that I thought I might have liked more height was when I wanted to put some engraving on a box lid, with the box being about 100mm tall, and I cannot fit it under my router. I ended up taking the lid off of its hinges and working with it that way instead, but I couldn’t (for example) have done any engraving on the front of the box. Some people do design in a drop table for that kind of work, but you still do not need more Z height than the length of your router bit.

so ill be fine even if i went half say 35- 40 mm