Setting up dual endstops

lol, well then, maybe I will not add it to the start code.

do I just have to manually input M92 X0 Y0 Z0 whenever I am starting a job? Maybe Ill keep reading more before I start carving.

currently, my 0,0 (home) position is the dual endstops. From there, I lower the Z axis until its touching the surface (in this case pen; but future the wood/aluminum). Once I have the right Z, I input the M92 X0 Y0 Z0 code to re-zero everything.

From there, I click print… Is this the correct order of operations or am I adding/missing something?

In the future, when I want to carve something in the middle of the table, I go to that point, center wherever I want to start, input M92 X0 Y0 Z0, and then click print.

…Im super new to this, and I still needing to go through more tutorials, but this seems to be working. Seems like lots of unnecessary steps, but maybe Im just used to my 3D printer with ABL … understanding that this has different mechanics.

thanks again!

Just to clear: M92 is bad. G92 is good.

M92 sets the steps/mm. G92 sets the coordinates.

There are lots of ways to get what you want. Some people like putting it in the gcode so you can’t forget. Some people just reset the controller. I like to do it one dim at a time, so I do G92 X, tthen move around, G92 Y0, then move around G92 Z0.

1 Like

fml… I did mean G92… kept writing M92.

but, this is really good to remember not to mess those up in the future.

also, one by one… thats a lot I feel, but I guess that ensures accuracy. For now I will keep it in the start code, but may start using your individual approach once I start getting it dirty.

I do it almost to slow the setup down. I also try to drive around the perimeter of the cut first to make sure nothing is binding. I tend to skip steps if I go too fast, so it is easier for me to just take it slowly.

1 Like

before I embarked on this MPCNC journey, I would have scoffed at the slow nature what you are proposing; but, I have learned to take it a little slower when working with the 3D printer and will do the same with the CNC.

you propose good ideas to avoid making mistakes

2 Likes

If you’re like me, you use the cnc or 3D printer once in a while and once you finish a job, you don’t go back and do it again. This is vastly different than someone who is trying to build a business with a cnc machine or 3D printer. My biggest expense is probably material. I enjoy the time spent. I would like to keep enjoying it, so success on the first try is more important than speed to me.

Everyone’s priority is different though. I don’t judge anyone for their way of working. I think someone who is carving decorative signs for etsy is going to want to churn out the projects fast and labor is their highest cost.

2 Likes

I am like you in that I do this for enjoyment and as a hobby that helps me dig deep into rabbit holes for something productive (sometimes).

Time spent tinkering and building has been worth the $ of printing and assembling the MPCNC. If I didnt even use the machine to carve (not going to happen), I would still view this as a great endeavor and has taught me tremendous amount.

still got a lot to learn and I look forward to contributing to the day that I can contribute more to the community.

1 Like