Setting up Fusion 360

I haven’t tried it yet. I read somewhere you could use the cam in Fusion to control the cnc but cannot find the write up on it.

No, last time I checked Fusion does not have machine control. You export your gcode and run it form the SD card or a program such as repetier.

You can’t directly control the machine with Fusion 360. You can use Fusion 360 to generate the gcode that you then open with a gcode sender like repetier-host and hit go.

But I just re-read your post and you have the display so you can skip the repetier host step.

If you’re looking to generate gcode with Fusion, you just download the post processor from this forum and then you can find a video about how to install a custom post processor.

I didn’t know Fusion 360 could be saved in gcode. Will it work without a conversion to Marlin gcode?

Fusion 360 can’t “be saved” in gcode. Fusion 360 can “generate” gcode via a post processor, which is a machine specific piece of code that can be plugged in to Fusion.

By default, Fusion can generate “generic” gcode. The post processor tells it the formatting/logistical nuances required to perfectly work on each individual machine. A member of this forum took a generic Marlin post (I think this is what he did) and modified it specifically for the MPCNC. But I could be wrong about that. Basically what I’m saying is we have a working post processor. There is no “conversion” to Marlin gcode because the gcode is properly generated the first time by Fusion.

I think the confusion comes from people thinking Fusion is a 3d modeling program. It IS, but it also has a CAM module, just like ESTLcam.

1 Like

Exactly. I use Aspire 9.0. There’s a post processor for the MPCNC but it doesn’t work very well. I use it. People can search for Marlin test 4 or test 5 and install it in Aspire. I assume it’s the same with Fusion 360. I have used 360 but not very good at it. Is there a way to add a post processor to Fusion? If so, how? Thanks again Tim.

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/fusion-360/page/10/#post-77523

What issues have you had with the Aspire post? I have used it a bit and not had a single problem.

Yep, I worded my question very poorly. I was looking for the settings to setup Fusion for the MPCNC. I thought I had run across a tutorial at one time but maybe not.

So maybe I did misunderstand what I can do with it. I was thinking I could draw something up in Fusion and then save it to the card and run the program. Do I still need to use a seperate program for the Gcode?

You guys are the best.

James

What did you select from the list in the post processor in Aspire? I uploaded Test five from this forum. My XYZ zero point is in different places than the lower left corner. Top right, bottom right.

I’m new to Aspire. I think I messed up my set up trying to level the tabletop. I can’t figure out how to reset the software back to original settings. I have the educational version with no technical support. I don’t get the clipart either. It’s frustrating. I lit my tabletop on fire and just replaced it. I releveled everything and I’m ready to create a new wasteboard but nervous about it. Any help would be awesome.

I’m carving a mold for slot car dragsters. I need to learn Fusion but I haven’t figured out how to make the model with the measurements I have. I can’t seem to get 3 inches or a foot. I can draw it on paper but matching the measurements has evaded me. I feel dumb. Any advice?

CAD software

CAM software, using the MPCNC post processor.

Fusion does both. It is a little hard to explain in a few sentences. I am sure there are a ton of videos if you search MPCNC fusion 360, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJsWnoU4Zek&t=52s

Fusion is such a broad topic. One of these days I want to make an exhaustive MPCNC F360 beginners video–How to model a simple part, CAM it, install post processor, and post the gcode. Today is most likely not that day.

I just realized I wasn’t using guffy’s post processor, was wondering why I had to make so many modifications to get it where I thought it should be :stuck_out_tongue: So now I have to test out Guffy’s before I keep recommending it to everyone, lol.

James-" I was thinking I could draw something up in Fusion and then save it to the card and run the program. Do I still need to use a seperate program for the Gcode?"

Fusion 360 will do EVERYTHING except send the code to the machine. Meaning you can make your 3d model, decide how the tools should cut it out (This is the CAM step, it’s like “slicing” with 3d printing except more manual), and then save the gcode to the SD card. Once you have the SD card there are 2 options–either open the .gcode file in repetier host (if you do not have a screen on your machine) or put the sd card with the .gcode file directly in your machine if you have a screen.

@Tim

That'd be brilliant. I've been slowly forcing myself to keep my workflow in fusion and the cam side of it has been a struggle. I couldn't find a single decent text/image tutorial on it where things weren't out of date, missing or irrelevant to what I was trying.

I always highly recommend John Saunders @ NYCCNC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_C_NLH5sw

I learned a LOT from his videos, several years ago. The video I linked doesn’t show how to add the post but it shows you the general cam workflow. And there haven’t been any radical changes to fusion since that video so everything should be relevant.

This blog post is also good, it shows how to set up tools etc.

1 Like

That would be fantastic. We really need a tutorial especially if it includes how to make parts that we can mill. From zero knowledge to completely milled parts. That’s what we all need.

The video Tim linked is 99% of the features you will need to know to use Fusion CAM, the last 1% is exporting through a Post processor.

As I always say, you need to be extremely comfortable with ESTLCAM before moving over to fusion. Once you know how to do everything in estlcam, you will know what you want to do differently. For example I want to V carve aluminum but ESTLCAM currently does not do it in the direction that works for metals. Works perfect in wood.

If you look at all the tabs and check boxes he does not touch in that video you will get a sense of how one tiny thing can ruin your CAM and for the most part no one can help you troubleshoot without going through your entire fusion setup (time). When using Fusion I also recommend always doing a test cut, Like I said one tiny checkbox checked or not checked could ruin your part.

I’d also like to point out you can hold your mouse over just about anything in Fusion CAM and it will pop out a pretty detailed pane describing what it does, often with illustrations. Note that it takes a second or two to pop up, you’ll think it’s not going to and then… bam, there it is.

Sorry for disappearing guys. Started a new job and ended up needing a new laptop for the house after the old one died.

I’m going through this thread and will hopefully give it a shot.

Thanks everyone,

James

I’m trying to get the MPCNC post-processor installed in F360- I’ve gone to the guffy1234/mpcnc_posts_processor GitHub page, but don’t know what to do from there. I’m assuming that it’s one of the .cps files? I’m using the Mini-Rambo, if that matters. Once I get the correct one, I install it to the C:\Users<USERNAME>\Appdata\Roaming\Autodesk\Fusion 360 CAM\Posts folder?

Thanks!

I believe a third option for getting the gcode to the machine, if using the V1pi image (or other Octoprint or CNC.js setup), is to copy the gcode (possibly across a network connection) to a folder that can be read by one of those programs. No “sneakernet” transfer of an SD card needed in this scenario.

This is the workflow I’m hoping to use once my machine is operational, so at the moment, for me, it is all theoretical. Getting closer every day.