Shelf

Uploading: 20200301_150730.jpg…
Wife wanted a shelf for her acrylic paint, so I made one. Cut the sides out with the lowrider so I could get the notches right. She liked it so much she wanted one for her spray paint. I made that one fully parametric to all use the same thickness material. I have parameters for can size, number per row, rows per shelf, spacing clearance, and material thickness. Damned thing went together first time with just a little persuasion from the mallet. The glue and nails aren’t really even doing anything except at the corners, and mostly just make me feel better.
No way could I have built it that square with tight joints before noon. Thanks for letting me pretend I can build stuff, V1!

7 Likes

Not sure what happened here but the picture isn’t coming through.

Would be interested to see what you have for your parametric files for this too, sounds interesting.

I think I just hit a dead spot on cell coverage. Setting up the parameters is actually not too bad, just requires thinking differently about how to define things as you go along, probably easier if you have a plan going in. I’ll try to get some screen grabs later. Simple shelf like this is really a great “git yer feet wet” project, and it was my first attempt at defining everything through parameters. Hopefully seeing how I did it will give you ideas about how to do it better!

1 Like

That looks pretty good.

This is the one I made for my wife:

7 Likes

That looks like some work!

Those look super sharp!

1 Like

I did something similar for my spice cabinet. Then I put labels on the top so I could see what I have. Makes it so much easier than trying to sort through 60ish small containers that are all the same height

1 Like

I made a video too. It was definitely a lesson in repetition.

3 Likes

Just in case anybody thought I was joking or exaggerating. I had to build a larger cabinet for the wife’s powder coating stuff. Tried the same style, but I had to build by hand since my lowrider isn’t quite big enough.