Shop Updates (originally Decided to move)

I’m surprised a 10x16 shop has room for both you and the kids :slight_smile:

Looks like wireless will be on the menu. I did a bunch of research and one of the biggest issues with satellite is that VPN connections don’t play well with the delay.

I’m going to see if I can get on a small-business plan with one of the fixed wireless carriers. That should hopefully provide a little more QOS plus it comes with unlimited data instead of the 700G limit.

Something else to look out for. Most wireless ISP’s hand out private IP addresses. So you’re already behind a firewall. I’ve run into issues with clients wanting to be able to connect to their camera systems. The ISP wouldn’t do any natting for us, luckily the camera system has a cloud option.

After you factor in uptime, and speed, and the fact that you’re not using it 100% of the time, is the 700GB actually going to matter?

I’m not sure. I’m more interested in the higher QOS than the unlimited bandwidth part.

I guess the question is, are they going to lock you in to a contract or can you switch between tiers if you don’t like one?

I just had the inspection done on our new place, I didn’t walk along with him, but he took me through the walkthrough after, wow was he a picky SOB! He found stuff that I wouldn’t have even thought to look for. I’m hoping we get a few seller concessions to help out… I would never try to stick someone with $15K though! That’s highway robbery!

That place is GORGEOUS though, maybe someday when my wife hits the big time… :).

How far are you from actual broadband service? I agree that SAT doesn’t play well with VPN, way too much latency for time based keys.

Maybe some enterprising company will build out broadband in the neighborhood?

Suddenlink and People’s Telephone coop both have broadband in a neighborhood right down the street. I’m hoping it means they’re building towards us.

Yes. Inspectors do find everything. It’s what you want them to do as that’s what you’re paying them for. Unfortunately, when you’re selling that goes both ways. I know we budgeted the selling price of our house so that we still had room to make concessions for stuff on the house. I knew going in that the pool needed some work.

Maybe you could find a neighbor in the serviced area to set up PTP wifi for you! :smiley:

I actually own a couple of PTP routers that I’m not using anymore, and they have a 5km line of sight range.

If you ever decide to try that solution, let me know. I’ll send them to you for the cost of freight. They were going to be a solution to share a connection on my uncle’s property, and I had them working. Then I got an amazing deal on some Luma mesh wifi routers, and I was able to bridge the gap with those.

So really they are still attached to his building for decorative purposes… and will probably stay there for the next 15 years until I have a reason to take them down.

What’s the speed on those routers? I’m looking for a solution to get internet from the house to the shop. I think it only needs to go 30 ft. Right now I’m considering running fiber between two unifi switches. Cost is going to be about 2-300 dollars.

Unless it’s metal sided walls, 30 feet shouldn’t be an issue with regular wifi. I was still connecting at almost 150 feet with a standard ubiquity access point in my house to the barn. I’m doing point to point now for the extra bandwidth.

It is a metal building. And the 30 feet is the corner of the shop to the corner of the house. My plan is to run a fiber line between two switches and then have an access point mounted in the middle of the shop and another one in the middle of the house. I’m considering a wireless bridge between the two switches using ubiquity gear. We’ll see. I have a few months to decide. I really want the wired because I plan on putting poe cameras on the back of the shop pointing at the back door.

It was going to be too far for me to run fiber to the barn, so I’m running a couple litebeams. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for less than 200 feet, but I wanted to test them out for work as well. I have 200mbps to the barn now, with an older uap outdoor providing wifi to the barn.

I’m thinking I’ll go with a pair of these:

https://store.ui.com/products/litebeam-5ac-gen2

I’m not going a huge distance and these should have more than enough throughput for me for what I need to do in the garage.

Why not save the $130 for some stepper motors and make a cantenna?

We needed a directional wifi antenna at work to look for rogue wifi signals (paranoid security dept.). The commercial product was basically a pringles can on a tripod.

1 Like

I may still have one floating around from my war-driving days.

At this time in my life. I’d rather spend an extra few dollars on a more robust device.

Heh, I’ve got a pair of those in the work car at the moment. Installing a point to point for a veterinarian clinic. They bought a building across the street and are planning on slowly transitioning over there. Main internet will still be in the old building, so we’re doing two separate point to point connections, one for data, and the second for cameras.

I’m hoping to be able to mount a camera on the back of the shop. These should be able to handle the minimal network usage of the shop (streaming music, occasional video) plus the 1 camera.

Here’s the full specs. You can have them for the cost of packing and shipping.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=303&cp_id=10521&cs_id=3030501&p_id=16140&seq=1&format=2

The descriptions says it uses a proprietary POE injector. Will it not work with a switch that provides POE?

Let me get settled into the new home and I might hit you up for them. Right now, I’m still not 100% sure whether or not there’s a cable already ran to the shop.

I honestly don’t know if they will work with a normal POE switch, but I will send the supplied ones along with them if necessary.

It’s another week down. We’ve had quite a few more showings, but no more offers yet. We’re coming up on 37 days on the market. The current average for the area is 47 days. One of the comments we keep getting is, “you have a beautiful home, we just didn’t realize how far out it was.”… I’m like, “You don’t know how to use google maps???”

The new house is pretty much all squared away at this point. All the loan paperwork has been completed and has been approved. The inspection went well and the appraisal has been paid for.

We were smart enough to put a contingency for the buying of the new house on the selling of the current one, but that doesn’t make this any less stressful. For things to go nice and smoothly, we need an offer by end of next week. After that, things start to get rushed.