Should I get a speed controller

Has anyone used a speed controller, like the one from harbor freight?

Keep in mind I’m new to this so maybe I need the speed, but I’m carving foam and I feel the speed is way higher than it needs to be.

I also like the idea of gradually spinning it up vs full speed right away.

Any reason I should/should not use a speed controller?

I know I won’t know the exact rpm, but I could test to find the best setting and mark it.

I did see this post speed controller which seems like a few people like being able to control the speed.

Just curious.

I have the router controller. It let’s you dial down the free speed, but it does not control the speed. When you start cutting, it will slow down. Probably not measurably in foam.
Something like the super pid monitors the speed and adjusts the current to keep it steady. The 611(lowrider) and makita also do this. Imo, it’s a game changer. I also did nicely for kind of a long time on the 660 with just the router speed controller.
If you have a good ear for pitch and most of your cuts are similar loads(adaptive/trochoidal is good for that), you can set the speed and measure with a cheap optical doodad, then adjust on the fly once it starts cutting and be good’nuff.
Definitely worth it imo, especially for foam unless your just BLAZING through it and need the speed. That thing really quiets down in a hurry when you start turning the knob.

1 Like

that makes sense. With foam there won’t be as much resistance as wood. When I do wood I can dial it up.

The main purpose for my router is to carve RC plans out of construction foam and will really be the only material I cut. There will be some wood, but only 1/4" for wing spars. So I could find the sweet spot and mark it with a marker.

Sounds like a plan. Be sure to post some videos. I’ve only seen a few mpcncs routing foam. Needle cutters, too. That’s really cool!

Will do,
Here’s a screen shot of the first plane I’m planning to carve.

and the inner structure for it.

I’m working on the wing structure now and figuring how that will all fit with the fuselage.
The wing span is 52"

1 Like

Holy smokes that’s going to be AWESOME!

That’s very nice - how do you model those complex curves?

@turbomacncheese @RobinBennett Thanks guys.

@RobinBennett I use Rhino3D. It’s a surfacing software vs a solid modeler and is geared more towards complex curves and forms.