Show us where you live!

I love seeing pictures from the beautiful places you guys live especially Turbinbjorn.
So here is somewhere everyone can share those photos. How many people will… idk but at least i tried. Here are some from my home.

6 Likes

Now…you went and started off with a post that is hard to follow. Those pictures are incredible!

Couple places we found earlier this year, both within an hour from here, if I remember right.

4 Likes

A stock photo taken about a mile from my house, always a nice walk at sunrise watching the pelicans surf the air pushed up by incoming waves. And they never wipe out. :+1:

2 Likes

Loving those colors!

Thank you! Yeah oregon is a little versatile! We lived in arizona for ten years (which is beautiful place in it’s own right) but, since we moved here I have been exploring a lot! Your second photo reminds me of sedona.

Here’s 1.5km from where we live. We take our mountain bikes this way.

Here’s 200 metres up the road…

And 100 metres down the road at rush hour

And outside our house…

This is why we moved from London

7 Likes

It’s interesting how where other people live always seems so … exotic (or something). I love those cool greens and icy greys and long for the time when we are allowed to revisit.

I live in Australia in a town called Dicky Beach.

It’s mid winter at the moment, but the weekend crowds still come even though the water temperature down around 21°c, they must be mad!

3 Likes

@bitingmidge

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. It’s currently 14C and raining here. It rained yesterday and the day before and the day before and it really rained hard the day before that. I think it might have rained before that as well. The Inuit’s apparently have lots of words for snow, we have lots of words for rain, mainly prefixed by a wide assortment of local swearing. The sheep seem to like it and the grass though.

21C is a warm sunny day here in North Yorkshire.

2 Likes

Oregon has its fair share!

Isn’t 21C the perfect temperature? Must be sarcasm…

1 Like

This is cheating, I know, but I’m not much of a photographer, and I don’t think about landscapes much, so here is a subreddit with everyone else’s pictures:

https://www.reddit.com/r/colorado

Here is one I have taken at centennial cone. It is my favorite place to mountain bike, but I have to be in good shape, so I only go in the late summer/fall:

4 Likes

@jeffeb3

Never been to Oregon, lived and worked in DC for a short while. Those look really nice mountain biking trails. It looks a bit like the Lake District in NW England though more mountainous.

Downhill is always fun, it’s the uphills that separates the men from the boys or the woman from the girls. I’m looking for a new mountain bike, and whilst a long travel carbon fibre DH racer would be fun, I’m actually going to find a lightweight full suspension shortish travel climber as we have so many hills. Every hill to get out of where we live is between a 1:3 and a 1:5. It takes a long time to get up them and a short time to get down them, so focus on the long haul rather than the short pleasure. There’s a metaphor for life somewhere in there …

Rob

Mine is an “enduro” style full suspension. It does a great job for me. I don’t have electric assist, so that trail really takes it out of me. That trail is only a 13 mile loop, but it has 1900ft vertical. That’s a lot for a chump like me. My latest challenge is the bike trailer with 70lbs of kiddos.

I don’t blame you for the confusion, but I live in Colorado, not Oregon.

Never been to Colarado either :slight_smile:

1900 ft of ascent over 13 miles is hard work. Most of my rides are around 1100ft of ascent over around 10 miles. That’s hard enough. Just looked through my Strava and can’t see any rides with that amount of climbing.

eBikes have taken off here massively, but I still have my ‘manual’ MTB. I know it’s not cheating but it still feels like it deep down to me. The kids now have their own MTB’s, my eldest daughter is catching me up, but not this year (thankfully). perhaps next year, though I’m still faster downhill, possibly something to do with greater skill (or is it I’m far, far heavier?).

Ebikes are popular here too. It kind of depends on your goals. If you’re trying to keep in shape, it sort of defeats the purpose (IMO), but if you’re trying to get to new trails, or keep up with someone half your age, then it isn’t cheating :). I don’t like having beginners renting ebikes and hitting trails that used fo require work to experience, but I guess that is a bit selfish/gatekeeping.

1 Like

@jeffeb3

I know that feeling. There’s a trail around 2Km from me with a steep 1:4 rocky climb. I could get up on my 250 trials bike with zero effort, but it’s just too difficult technically and physically to do it on a MTB. A few weeks ago, this old guy just whizzed up it on an eBike. He did have the grace to say “I’m sorry, it’s an electric bike, I know, I know…” as he passed me, bouncing up the climb.

I’ve never ridden an eBike in anger, so I shouldn’t pass judgment, friends down south have them, but I don’t know anybody with one within a few hundred miles. Perhaps I ought to try one out and hire one for the day, I’m afraid I may like it and they are a few thousand pounds. I need a new kitchen for the house first.

Anyway, I’m off to do a ride now,

and here’s a video of it. This is in autumn and it’s as slippy as anything, the descents are lethal as we have a lot of rocky surfaces, wet leaves on rock going downhill, mmmm… Check 4:35 secs in the video to see what I mean.

Rob

4 Likes

That looks like a blast. For some reason riding next to huge drop offs on single track doesn’t bother me, but those pinch points with rocks walls on either sides stresses me out. I would love to ride that sometime.

The dry stone walls are common here on paths. There must be 10,000’s of miles of them. That’s not an exaggeration either. Many of them are hundreds of years old and show where farmers fields were, kept sheep in and lined paths. They are built without mortar and it’s a real skill to build them. Nowadays you have to wait for a long time to get a dry stone waller to have an open slot. It’s a dying trade sadly.

The paths are narrow and you have to watch for stones on the sides, or anywhere to be honest, knocking you off. I have hit the walls a few times and managed to get away with light damage, gashes and broken ribs. Not sure I like the sound of cliffs on one side of my path. Sounds dangerous.

Most of our paths are bridleways which mean that horses are allowed and bikes. Motor vehicles can be but that’s being clamped down on. Bridleways go back hundreds of years and there are common law rights to use them. This means there are 10,000’s of miles of them around the UK. There are groups of people who walk them as hobby to ensure that they are not forgotten and closed by accident.

If you come to the UK and come north, let me know. We’ll get you a bike and organize a bike ride for you.

Rob

2 Likes

Tried to find pics without people in them. Some from Cape Spear, bit north east of Ryan.

4 Likes

Perhaps it was gloating more than sarcasm! :grinning: I won’t dip a toe in unless the water is at least 26° Jeff.

Here’s a snip from a news feed yesterday where our State Premier (sort of the equivalent of Governor for you) was encouraging people to get Covid testing despite “bitter cold” (and yes, yesterday we all suffered with a maximum that didn’t get above 22!)

1 Like