OK, I measured the final results to decide if I needed to tweak any of the basics.
X, requested 100mm received 99.8mm -> adjust steps per millimeter from 200 to 200.4
Y, requested 100mm received 99.7mm -> adjust steps per millimeter from 200 to 200.6
Z, requested 50mm received 48.8mm, but with the elephants toes very evident. I then measured Z from the top of the X and Y components (5mm up) to find what should have happened if the first couple of layers weren’t so smooched. dZ, requested 50mm received 49.3mm -> adjusted steps per millimeter from 788 to 799.19
I saw some delamination when putting side pressure on the Z component, so I’m guessing I need more tweaking to account for the current 0.5mm nozzle I’m using. My calcs say with 0.5mm I should see 0.60 wide and 0.417 tall extrusions (assuming a true ellipse and no expansion of the plastic when leaving the nozzle), I think I’ve still got that set to 0.48 and 0.33 in my current settings, so correct for 0.4mm nozzle but light for the larger one. It should be just under extruding by 20% or so, but that’s not what the corners look like.
I switched to 0.5mm on the nozzle a few days ago to help minimize the stringing caused by the bowden tube’s slow reaction to changes in extrusion pressure, along with the 5mm retraction setting I found was working best.