Sir Name Banner Engraving

Got an odd situation. I took a vector piece of artwork and cleaned it all up in Illustrator. I then exported as a DXF file and opened it in estlCam. Everything looks fairly good but when watching the animation of the cut it has a few parts where the bit lifts up, dives back in, and does that a few times. No real noticeable cutting on my test but I don’t understand why it’s doing that. I’ve attached both the .e10 file as well as the .nc file if anyone would care to take a look.

Winegarden Crest - Banner Only-try 2.zip (593.6 KB)

I am no expert, but let me take a swing at it. I have three points to make. The first being the most important.

Side note: I had to upgrade to the latest version of Estlcam to open your file.

#1 - VCarve

Personally, when I VCarve, I notice the same behavior. It appears that, generally speaking, Estlcam will carve the majority of something, then, near the end, go back and make these little touch up’s in the “corner of objects”. They do in fact kinda look like little up and down motions. Typically, they are noticeable on the material. Meaning, you do seem them taking out material.

However, I have seen the case where they are so tiny or small, I think “what is it doing? is it confused? why is it moving but not cutting”. My assumption (and I think experience) is that depends on the depth of cut being done. If your depth of cut is small, I think these little touch ups look like they are doing nothing on the material (and may in fact do next to nothing).

In your case you have a depth of cut of 5mm. Which is big. But you have a maximum width of 3.18mm. Because of that, I think your DOC becomes uncertain potentially. I don’t think it ends up being 5mm. It probably is much much less and the little touch ups look like they do nothing and may do nothing.

#2 - Paths

I don’t think this is relevant to your original question, but it looks like you have multiple (identical) toolpaths defined. I suspect this is not your intention.

#3 - Something I have not seen before.

Your E10 file show the following…

But your preview shows the toolpath, but with extra objects that we don’t see when defining the paths. Kinda strange, like the “RETRO DESIGN” does not show in the main drawing only the preview.

Not sure why, probably irrelevant anyway.

Without looking at the gcode that usually happens when the corners are not actually closed/connected in the design.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I continue to test. And that retro piece is exporting from Illustrator even though I have that layer hidden when I export the DXF file. Not sure why it still exports hidden objects like that. I’ve since been copy/past the stuff I want into a separate file and exporting. Seems like a lot of extra work for this odd issue and will eventually cause issues or mistakes down the road. I’ve gotta figure something out but I know illustrator better than anything else for this type of work so it’s what I use for now.

1 Like