SKR 1.3 and TMC5160 drivers arrived last week. I’ve been experimenting with it ever since. I’ve been using Arduino CNC shield with grbl 1.1 up until now.
I’ve cloned Marlin 2.x branch and began experimenting. After many sleepless nights… here are my results:
Sensorless homing with steppers hooked up in series:
- No dual drivers for each axis needed!
- I was able to do sensorless homing with self-squaring abilities. You just need to do homing a few times. If I twist the axis before powering the steppers, and home the axis, the axis self-aligns to be square.
- I home to x_max, y_max since that places have less things to crash.
- I made two small spacers on the Y axis so that the moving parts have a consistent plane to crash on.
- Originally bought 5 stepper drivers, but I now have two drivers free. Maybe for A/B axis in the future?
- I hate when I overshoot jogging and the axis go out of bounds. Marlin settings help with that.
- This is maybe a standard feature for many users around here... But I hooked up the z_min pins and made a probe. It's a night and day difference!
All my settings are published on my Github repo. Have a look:
And thanks to countless people on this forums and youtube. I wouldn’t be able to achieve this if it weren’t for this amazing community.