SKR boards

I am getting the feeling that all these SKR related questions are kinda adding a negative or complicated view of the machines/builds. The boards are so wide open, drivers, flashing, other odd uses. It just seems to me that a majority of the forum issues lately have been related to the skr boards.

Do you think it would help to add a SKR section to the forums? Or maybe you have another idea?

3 Likes

I would put something in the instructions/docs saying that SKR boards currently have some issues and are not recommended for less experienced people, or something to that effect. You can also add a short list of boards that are known to work fine.

1 Like

Well they work fine but the amount of variables is nuts. I am sure that is the initial appeal but must do jot realize there just is not going to be a premade version that fits there exact set of choices.

I see what you are saying, so maybe just a note classifying that board as for the “extremely advanced” in the instructions, bit that does not fix the overall appearance of skr related posts scattered in all sections. It just feels the overall amount of questions is way up and a majority have skr in the body at some point but not the title… making firmware issues seem way more prevalent.

I think a big part of the appeal is they are dirt cheap. In my opinion the MKS Gen L is the better low-cost option. Ramps-like has been around since forever, and so it has huge compatibility with old-school stuff and it’s a plus to stay away from the 32-bit fancy stuff and Trinamic drivers.

1 Like

Exactly they check all the boxes. Cheap, use any driver you want, use any com protocol you want, use any screen you want, but all that comes with the issue that you need to know what you are doing to use it, heck to even ask the right questions to use it. There are several threads here where people are using TT’s firmware for completely different choices. That is causing an issue that all the sudden board and firmware related issues are a major topic, as before they were all coming down to , “dude you forgot the u8glib library.”

I think having their own section will do two things. First show how many questions there are about using it, second free up the forums to normal things and show that the recommended stuff is simple and has very few issues. CNC forum vs Firmware forum?

3 Likes

I think that is a good idea. I think having a stock set up that is blessed and curated would really help. Maybe someone can take up that challenge. I think tt was mostly there, but his firmware has trouble building out of the box.

Having a forum section for it might also help focus the experts in one place.

2 Likes

The SKR boards are cheap and readily available. I have one I bought for my ender3, but never installed. I thought about using it for my mpcnc and saving a bunch of cash, but I wanted the board most of you use for the support alone.

I am very happy I purchased the board from V1.

I almost feel like teaching tech’s video did a disservice to the community using the skr board.

2 Likes

Okay I set it up, to all of you that can please feel free to move any skr issues over there.

https://forum.v1e.com/c/software/skr-boards

1 Like

I just did a quick search and moved some topics that seemed appropriate to the new category. :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Ben, I revived a Maker Select V2 with the SKR board with 2130 SPI drivers and worked really well!
I still have one set (board and drivers) seating around that at some point I’m planing to build a 4th machine and try on …it and if doesn’t work I will get another V1 board

2 Likes

I am diving in heavy for the skr 1.3, I have a4988s, 2208s V3, and 2209s on the way. Hopefully I can write a guide or compile some information for each of the options and setting them up in firmware after I get some things working correctly. I am beyond packed with projects at the moment but I think this could be a nice way to give back to the community that is teaching me so much.

5 Likes