SKR Pro 1.2 and Dual End Stops

While I await USPS to deliver some more parts, I started to layout my steppers and control board just to start to understand things. I flashed the SKR Pro with the Dual_LR firmware without issue, and wired up the motors using the Dual Endstop wiring. I can move the steppers with the TFT35 without issue!

However I noticed that the documentation seemed out of date, as the Dual end stop wiring image I could find appears to be for the MPCNC

So I started to play around with it, and noticed that when I issue a M119 (end stop status) with no wires connected, I get the following output

x_min: open
y_min: open
y2_min: open
z_max: triggered
z2_max: open
z_probe: triggered

This seemed odd to me, and no matter how I shorted or opened the end stop leads (once I connected them) the above status never changed.

Here is a crappy image of how I wired them ( I understand that they maybe wired incorrectly, but I assumed I would see a change in the M119 output

Also, I did find a few most that seemed to indicate (based on how I was reading it) that the board have have each port labeled like

Xmin
Ymin
Yman
Zmax
Xmax
Zmin

This is not the case for the SKR Pro 1.2. The endstop ports are labeled

Z E0
Y E1
X E2

(may have the ordered mixed up)

Also, I found some documentation that suggested bending a pin on each of the drivers if using endstops/dual endstops? Is this still needed?

Dual endstops on the lr is a newer feature. The details are here:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/dual-lr/

That pic is for an MPCNC

I’m also having trouble with SKR Pro 1.2 and dual end stops, but I’m trying to set up a LowRider 3.

LR3 has one X end stop (X min), two Y end stops (Y min and Y max), and two Z end stops (Z min and Z max).

The V1 documentation linked by @jeffeb3 seems to not apply, as it seems to describe two X end stops and only one Z end stop. Is that a typo? Below is a screen shot of what I see on the page linked above.

The issue I am having is when I try to home Z, only one side goes up.

• End stops physically “wired for NC”? — I think so.
    I have my end stops soldered/wired as shown in the LowRider 3 assembly instructions, with the two wires soldered to the two “outside” leads on the end stops, and no wire soldered to the middle lead, which if I understand correctly is “wired as NC - normally closed.”

• TMC 2209’s have pin bent to disabled sensorless homing? — Yes.
    I have re-bent the pin on each driver, as I was previously using sensorless homing on LR2, but now trying to switch to dual end stops.

• Using correct firmware? — I think so.
    I downloaded and flashed the file from here: V1CNC_SkrPro_DualLR_2209
    Version: 2.0.9.2 / 513
    It shows up as: “V1CNC_SkrPro_DualLR_2209-2.0.9.2”

• Wiring tested, known good? Soldering and crimping successful? — Yes.
    I tested each end stop’s wiring in a way that seems easy and accurate: I take the lid off my SKR case, and watch the LED action on the board when I manually trigger each end stop. If the wiring had a short, or the crimping was not successful, then I should not see LED action each time I trigger an endstop. I see each end stop’s LED light up when I manually close it.

• End stop wires connected to the right pins on the board — I don’t know. Trying to confirm
    I have tried two different configurations, based on reading various things in various places on the V1 sites.

I tried:

End Stop Connected to
X X min
Y1 Y-min
Z1 Z-min
Y2 E0
Z2 E1

I also tried:

End Stop Connected to
X X min
Y1 Y-min
Z1 Z-min
Y2 E1
Z2 E2

In these configurations, it seems, one or the other of the Z sides goes up for homing, while the other doesn’t.

Can anyone spot something I overlooked or give me a nudge in the right direction?

I seem to have made some progress, but still not fully there.

I remembered reading something about Z-min pins being reserved for a Z-probe, so I moved the Z-1 end stop wiring to E2 pins. I also switched the Y2 and Z2 wiring to the opposite of what they were before, just kind of out of desperation.

So this time I tried:

End Stop Connected to
X X min
Y1 Y-min
Z1 E2
Y2 E1
Z2 E0

The above seemed to allow a successful Z max homing, and X homing worked, but Y homing bombed out.

Quick question: Is the pre-configured firmware for Dual End Stop on LowRider… set for Extruders=0? Or Extruders=1?

I’m reading over here at SKR Pro - V1 Engineering Documentation (extruders0) and SKR Pro - V1 Engineering Documentation (extruders1).

I would imagine that the pre-configured it set for Extruders=0. If that is the case, then according to the documentation:

E0 becomes X2 and E1 becomes Y2. (or LR would be E0=Y2 E1=Z2)

If so, then would the following be correct?

End Stop Connected to
X X min
Y1 Y-min
Z1 E1
Y2 E0
Z2 E2

OK, so the one set up I tried earlier, that allowed a successful Z homing but not Y, when I tried again, it allowed homing in Z, and XY. That was the following:

I think the reason Y homing failed, was perhaps a bit on the router catching on the spoil board, maybe.

I created a graphic to illustrate what worked for me, and posted it on my thread:

1 Like

I’ve pulled my SKR Pro from my LR, so I have to go by memory…

It seems to me that the Z Min endstop is set up for the touchplate, and that the Z stops used are Z Max and X max, where Y uses Y Min and Max.

Further, the SKR Pro labels them as X Y Z E0 E1 E2. On board, but the min/max is in some of the docs, and its from that that I got those placements.

Query the endstops often, if only one side is going up, o e of those stops is probably wired to a touchplate.

1 Like

I think it was definitely that. I had one of the Z end stops wired to where a Z probe / touch plate would connect. I finally got it sorted through trial and error.

2 Likes

The doc is correct. Zmin can’t be used for Z2, so I signed it to Xmax, the unused endstop.

That left Zmin to be used by the probe.

The easiest way to debug this is with M119. You can send it from the screen in touchscreen mode, or an attached computer. Be sure to check that the correct motor is next to the correct endstop. Swapping Y1 and Y2 is a common problem.

The other thing I didn’t see is, did you bend the sensorless homing pins of the tmc drivers?

1 Like

@jeffeb3

Yes, this from my first post on it above:

Thanks! You guys are always awesome.

I not only got my dual endstops all working, but also used the *M666 offset command to get my Z endstop final height adjusted to match Z2. My gantry now measures an even 162.62mm above my spoil board, in repeated testing of homing and measuring. I think that is impressive across a 56" gantry with 40" between measurement points.

*As documented here: Dual Endstops - V1 Engineering Documentation

PS: I edited the illustration I made to change “Probe?” to “Touch Plate Probe” with no question mark.

2 Likes

Try opening the firmware source and looking at the endstop configuration to see if the ones that don’t line up (triggered ones I would imagine) are set to invert or something.

And thanks for that gcode command, that’s what I was looking for myself :>

im trying to set up the z max switches. I have the skr pro v2.1 set up just as it is in the Doug’s photo above. but they are not responding do I also need to change the firm ware to use the z max end stops and should the switches be closed loop or open when not triggered?

They should be wired NC. Use M119 to confirm they are workijg and connected by the right motor.

Hi jeff, (and all) thanks for the info and reply mate.

I have a pc attached with repetier host, but also have a marlin app that shows endstops as round icons and lets u pass commands etc. Screen also working, so happy to test further with either…

Didnt know about the limitations of the pin assignments, interesting to know - thanks.

All motors respond to manual movement commands from repetier and in pairs for y and z. (Both motors move when tell axis to move)

Sensors just seem to trigger on the wrong pin headers when u look at the red light on the pcb that comes on when triggered. (In fact some come on with nothing connected, might need inverting, but before changing stuff, i thought id post for suggestions as Id like to keep it a standard build for ease of updates etc.

Ill give m119 a try and see if software gives better results. Ta

The driver pin was cut mate on each of them :slight_smile: but good shout mate. Thanks

• I know I am opening up an old Topic but thought my question belonged here.

• All of the end stops report like the Xmin end stop in the image below with none of them engaged.

• The second time I sent the command Xmin was engaged. All of the end stops are reporting in the same and are mapped to the appropriate motor.

• All the switches are wired NC.

• Now for the issue, when I send a move command from the 3.5LCD and engage the end stop switch for that axis the motor does not stop.

• I am wondering if I have loaded the wrong firmware for the SKR Pro 1.2 or the TFT3.5. Bellow is a photo of the firmware.

• Most likely it is just this old guy missing something.

The end stops are only monitored during the homing cycle.

I did not think of that. I have not tried homing yet. Thanks for the help.