SKR Pro + Marlin 2.0.7.2 + NEJE/3 Wire Laser (Summary)

Can you try those movements with the laser off?

Where did you get your firmware? We have hammered out a lot of little issues in the firmware builds at MarlinBuilder releases.

Well… Yes, it does jerk the same!!! So it goes from one point to another and delays! Never noticed that with a spindle… And no idea why is that so.

I compiled FW from the Marlin page, the TFT FW is V1.

1 Like

UPD: Fixed that. Since I reflashed several times, it can’t be a bug. It shines to me that the CPU was overloaded by the following unnecessary function and caused these delays (although I use SKR 1.4 turbo).
Disabled:
//#define FULL_REPORT_TO_HOST_FEATURE

Everything works as expected now. The movements on “curves” are smooth. I’ve enabled arc support and bezier curve support as well, although Lightburn doesn’t support G2-G3/G5 now.

It still causes little holes on sharp corners, but it is expected without the trapezoid and the inline mode. I was wrong when suggested that Marlin modified M106/107 to match the feed.

3 Likes

So is it working ok with your skr pro? I ordered a neje laser last week and wanting to see if it works as it should to then build a new lowrider just for it :wink:

Please, can someone help me define one of the fans or heatbed pins to be used as SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN? Can’t get it working to control the laser SSR.
What I try, for example:

//#ifndef HEATER_BED_PIN
//  #define HEATER_BED_PIN P2_05 // Commented out to enable SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN
//#endif

//
// Servos  // Commented out to enable SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN
//
//#ifndef SERVO0_PIN
//  #define SERVO0_PIN P2_00
//#endif

#ifndef SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN
  #define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN P2_05  // Relay to enable spindle
  #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN P2_00  // Define to control inline spindle/laser power
#endif

The SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN works as expected, but SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN doesn’t react to M3/M5. What am I doing wrong?

I’ve made some tests and here is the results:
When SPINDLE_FEATURE is enabled the M3/M5 work without specifying any parameters, turning the SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN on or off respectively.

However in LASER_FEATURE mode, M3/M5 won’t work for SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN and are useless for controlling the SSR. I’ve also tried defining LASER_POWER_SYNC and disabling the Inline mode completely, without any effect. The very first move of a stepper turns on the SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN and it can’t be disabled by M5 or M5 I S0 or anything.

Is it a BUG or something?

I’ve been searching for a solution to using a TTL laser with my MPCNC w/SKR Pro v1.2 stock firmware from v1engineering using pin PC9.

Thank you, Thank you!

I have finally installed my SSR(10DD) but i can’t succeed to make it work with PF9 pin.
I did flash the firmware with same #define as in @mperino first post.
I have plugged the SSR just like on the schematic but it never turn on when i try to burn something.

So for now i have replaced the PF9 input by the onboard 3.3V so that the SSR is turned on/off at the same time my board do change power state.
It is fine working and better than nothing / having to deal with dedicated laser power line( i sometime forget to plug in ) but I don’t see what i missed here…

I use inline mode, have tested other modes and haven’t found anything particular on special gcode command to enable ENA in Marlin documentation.

Edit : I just saw @ValeryOD 's post, so it’s the exact same issue for me…

It is my understanding from reading other laser threads on this forum that the NEJE laser modules works just fine with an SKR Pro boards, PC9, and the stock firmware. The deciding factor on whether a laser module works “out of the box” or requires extra effort seems to be whether the laser module can be driven by 3.3V PWM signals. If your laser will not work with 3.3V signals, then some sort of level conversion needs to be done.

1 Like

For me it was plug&play used the ttl signal from the board and added 12v and ground directly from my psu to the laser board

1 Like

i hope this is true, because i just bought a neje E40 specifically for cutting 3-6mm ply for ornaments and decorations, and id like for it to just work

Assuming you are running V1 firmware on an SKR Pro, it should be plug and play. I recently moved my NEJE to a control board with 3.3V PWM, and it works just fine. If you are not running a Rambo or a SKR Pro, then you will have some firmware work to do to get it up and running.

Yep- got my LR3 running using the skr pro from the shop here.

Sound good. Thanks

Thanks for the info Robert- one more question if I may

Can I use Lightburn on my office desktop, then output the gcode to an SD card and run it from the tft on the LR3, like when doing routing, or do I have to have a laptop hooked up direct?

Thanks

You can use Lightburn with an SD card. This is how I do it. There are some “advanced” features you lose this way. For example, Lightburn has the ability to move the laser in a frame around your work so you can test if you have the stock in the right place, and Lightburn has a feature that allows you to re-insert and then re-align your stock if you want to do further work (like the laser didn’t cut all the way through). Obviously, since I use an SD card, I cannot use either feature.

Great to know, thank you.

Since I’m not familiar with those functionalities on the router side of things, I don’t think I’d have missed them if you hadn’t mentioned it.

I have a 12v 6a power brick running my LR3. The neje e40 needs a 12v 4a power supply.

Is there enough spare capacity on the 12v 6a brick to run the skr pro board and the laser, do you think? I can easily make a parallel extension cable to power both within stuff in my spares box. Or should I keep them separate and run two supplies?

Thanks

There is not enough spare power to run both the laser and the MPCNC with 6A. My uneducated estimate is that the MPCNC, with default firmware settings, requires a max in the range of 4.5A to 5.0A. Going with a 6A power supply gives a bit of headroom for cheap power supplies having marginal ratings. You could upgrade the power supply and run both the MPCNC and the laser, though having separate power supplies will allow you to upgrade the power supply to your control board to 24V, which might provide some benefits for fast engraving.

Appreciate that, thanks. I’ll keep it easy and do separate supplies for now

I’m assuming I’ll need to use both pwn + pc9 and a ground (main bus on board ok) if I go that route?

Thanks

Yes, you need both, but the cable they provide from the companion board has two wires, so it is plug and play.

1 Like

Thanks again.