SKR PRO V. 1.2 / TFT 35-E3 V3.0 Screen Black after Flash

Update:

1)Purchased both a new Micro SD and SD Card.
2) Loaded software on respective.
3) Loaded… Exact same issue as above photo where it presents me with the option to use Marlin or BTT Touch mode.
4)If I unplug the gray ribbon cable, I am presented with the proper home screen. (Home, Move, Terminal, EM.Stop,…)
5) The firmware under info shows "TFT35_E3_V3.0.26.x July 29 2020
6) Baud Rate 250,000
7) If I remove the micro SD card, firmware shows as .bin. Meaning the SKR is not flashing.

So new cards. New download of firmware. No change. Ryan you also suggested switching out black cable. I don’t have an extra in the kit. I just peeked to see if you sell it. Didn’t see it on Canadian Amazon either.

Next steps would be super wonderful. A brief pause to thank you for getting me this far. Feel like there’s hope. lol

#5 and #7 are completely separate, are we on the same page?

The screen gets flashed from files loaded onto the SD in the back, those 2 folders and the file/s you need are linked in the instructions, and are completely separate from the SKR board.

The SKR board gets flashed from one fimrware.bin file on the microSD card that I previously linked.

#6 is set automatically buy our firmware you should not need to touch it.

Correct. Micro SD with one set of files. SD with different set of files.

@vicious1 :pray:

Also I bought this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075N82CDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 In case we need it. Arriving tomorrow.

So when you flash the screen do you see it flashing? All the files, fonts, and images? Takes a few minutes and the files get renamed? It boots straight to the select screen? Do you see my boot logo? The select screen only comes up when you hold the knob in for 10 seconds, is the knob stuck in?

You are sure it is going to the correct terminals, can you put up a picture?

I thought you had two screens? I figured you had a cable in each.

#7) The only other thing I can think of to try is flashing manually from platform io but I would need to try it first, I am actually not sure if it works.

Reading through all of this again. Maybe we need a current situation summary.

The touch screen flashes correctly, and works with the grey cables off, all touch functions are fine. The grey cables attached and the screen stops working (actually just one even breaks it)? Either grey cable messes it up or just one specifically?

The skR board is totally non-functional other than some lights on in USB only mode?

When screen is flashed I see: V1 Booting Logo… Then it goes to the proper home screen with icons. The screen flashed properly.

However:
Situation A: If I plug in the fifth wire on the black cable to the SKR; nothing will work. Reset button does not work on TFT. One green and one red led lit on TFT.

Situation B: When I plug in the black (no fifth or with fifith) and grey ribbon cables, nothing will work. One red led on TFT and one green led on TFT. Dead screen.

Situation C: When I unplug and remove one grey cable screen lights up, reset button works, and screen loads to V1 then Marlin/touch mode. One green led and one red led on TFT back as previous.

Situation D: When I remove all grey ribbon cables, the screen loads to the proper home screen and reset button works.

So for all situations… if fifth reset pin is plugged in on SKR… nothing will work. The TFT only goes to home screen if reset pin unplugged, and no gray ribbons plugged in.

I did have two screens. You’re right. Great memory. I only have one now. I will order another board if needed. I cancelled the new delivery when I saw the progress. Thought it was a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.

Correct on the SKR - Totally non-functional. One orange led under 5v and red with USB. New micro-sd didn’t work. Will not turn to .cur with fresh firmware.

I’ve made a video. @vicious1 Also I’m wrong. I meant I got the new screen. Old is gone. I ordered a new skr but cancelled that when thought was firmware. Will order a new skr if you think I should.

Okay, now I am seeing why I am so confused. There are two of you with similar issues, the other person checked and proved the SKR board good, and screen bad. This seems to be the opposite. The confusion was me thinking a proven good board went bad.

So, maybe as a last ditch effort, check the bottom of the board, and pull the shields off the SKR exp1 and look for bridged pins, if nothing check exp2 and the tft port as well.

Sorry, the two of you have very similar looking pictures and videos. I was totally lost there. I am thinking a bridged pin, if you don’t see one I think we will just need to swap everything.

1 Like

Marko, I think your screen is fine. The only thing I would check is that you might need to switch which gray cable is connected to which port. I can never keep that straight.

But none of that matters if you can’t get the Skr Pro working first. If it won’t even flash the firmware.bin to firmware.cur, then something is very wrong. You can detach the screen, and put it back in the box, it has nothing to do with the problem. The Skr needs to be working before even testing the screen.

Also, the firmware on the screen looks fine, but that says nothing about the condition of the firmware on the Skr Pro. They are completely independent.

1 Like

Hey Ryan! Removed the Exp 1 and Exp 2 shields. Nothing. Attempted to remove TFT and it seems glued? on.

Was scared I would break it and pins. Left it as is.

Thoughts?

Something occurred to me reading through this…

If the board doesn’t work when the RST pin is plugged in from the LCD, is that somehow shorted to ground on the LCD side?

I just did a quick test with mine. I disconnected the black LCD cable from the SKR Pro, and tested the leads. The reset pin shows as floating on mine, no connection to either +5V or ground… When I press the reset button, I show low resistance continuity to ground.

If yours is showing continuity to ground, this would be the equivalent to holding the reset switch down and not letting go every time that the reset pin is plugged in, in which case, I would not expect any other reasonable response from the mainboard or from the LCD.

I think that reset button does something on the Marlin connectors, too, probably on that second wire that everything goes wrong when you plug it in.

1 Like

What’s the storage on the micro sd card to flash the skr board?

I had an issue with my skr2 board not flashing because I was using a 64gb micro sd card. I contacted BTT support and they said this.

OK. Is the motherboard unable to update the firmware? Please use a 4/8/16GB SD card to perform the following steps.

Format the SD card first, select FAT32 as the file system,

Then copy the firmware.bin file to the SD card of the motherboard. Note that the name of the copied file must be firmware.bin.

Put the SD card back into the SD card slot of the motherboard,

Then power on the motherboard, press the reset button on the motherboard, and wait 15 seconds.

Then put the SD card on the card reader and check the firmware name in the SD card.

If the firmware name in the SD card has become FIRMWARE.CUR.

Prove that the motherboard can successfully update the firmware.

So I changed to 16gb and it flashed.

1 Like

I was rewatching your video, and at about the 20second mark where you unplug the reset pin, it looks like your cable is plugged in backwards from mine

On mine the reset pin is opposite the +5V pin. Note the dots on the +5V wire. When plugged in, all 5 pins on the cable are lined up with where they plug in, not coming from the opposite sides. I can’t see.clearly if you did the same thing on the LCD end though, so this may be a case of getting the same connections in a different order of wires. So long as all 5 are the same.

I was thinking though that it very much behaves like the reset button is being pressed when you plug in that pin. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see continuity between that wire and ground. I think that if that is the case, you can’t expect normal behaviour otherwise, if some other part of the LCD thinks that that button is being pressed.

Edit: Further to my theory about the reset pin, on the 12864 interface, the reset pin is connected on the EXP2 cable as well, so it is therefore no surprise that when you connect the EXP2 cable, it behaves the same as when you plug in the reset pin on the black cable.

1 Like

I thought the same about the reset, except the board still doesn’t work with no LCD cables connected at all.

Marko, Lets figure out how to get you a board swap going.

New board arrived and flashed right away! Lights on the drivers lit up that I had never seen. So I’m sure it was the board and not me. Whew.

The error I’m getting now is “No Printer Attached”. I’ve confirmed that MicroSD states .cur

1 Like

I had the same issue, try changing the baud rate on the touch screen. I think its under settings, then it takes a few seconds to connect.
Mine was set on 115200 and changed it to 250000 by tapping on the screen icon once then waiting a couple seconds and it connected.

1 Like

When you flash the screen with our firmware, it automatically sets the baud rate.

You might be missing the config file if you have our graphics showing.

1 Like

It’s there.

Then something isn’t right. It should set the buad rate. Still have my bootscreen and all the custom buttons (laser, etc)?

Baud rate is correct. Wasn’t an issue. Another poster was mentioning that it was a issue and fix for them. :slightly_smiling_face: