Skr1.3 vs 1.4 dual endstop LR- firmware won't compile

Tried looking for an answer to this, but couldn’t see it. Not my first time at this - making a 2nd CNC, but a lowrider this time (vs the MPCNC). I have a skr1.4 board with DRV8825 drivers, plus I want endstops. There is a pre-configured marlin for that, but using the SKR 1.3 board https://github.com/V1EngineeringInc/MarlinBuilder/releases/download/513/V1CNC_Skr1p3_DualLR_8825-2.0.9.2.zip.

I tested compiling the original software and it compiles fine, but if I only change the Board to the V1.4, I get the following error
| ^
***** [.pio\build\LPC1768\src\src\module\endstops.cpp.o] Error 1**

No other changes were made. Thoughts?

More of the compiler feedback below if it helps.

Compiling .pio\build\LPC1768\src\src\module\temperature.cpp.o
In file included from Marlin\src\module\motion.cpp:29:
Marlin\src\module\stepper.h: In static member function ‘static bool Stepper::disable_extruder()’:
Marlin\src\module\stepper.h:612:46: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void [-Wreturn-type]
| ^
*** [.pio\build\LPC1768\src\src\module\endstops.cpp.o] Error 1
In file included from Marlin\src\module\planner.cpp:66:
Marlin\src\module\stepper.h: In static member function ‘static bool Stepper::disable_extruder()’:
Marlin\src\module\stepper.h:612:46: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void [-Wreturn-type]
612 | static inline bool disable_extruder() {}

Uh oh. That’s weird.

I am not at my keyboard, but that error looks like it has a point.

Which begs the question, how did this compile before?

Have you tried building without making any changes?

I am worried that platformio or one of the build tools updated, and became more strict. But I need to try it myself at my computer.

Ah, look how it has changed for 2.0.9.3:

Thanks Jeff. That is very helpful! I compiled the firmware as is and it was fine. Made just the one change to get the board to v1.4 and then it didn’t compile, which is odd.

First time compiling Marlin in over a year and my understanding of the code is marginally above rudimentary so I didn’t go digging into all the underlying files. Was hoping to get around doing a full manual config in 2.0.9.3 - I’ll try using the latest stepper.h file first and if not, configure the latest marlin.

Well, I tried recompiling. Copied the Stepper.h and Stepper.cpp files from the latest Marlin over to my version (2.0.9.2). I compiled once with the original config.h with the 1.3 board, and a second time changing the board from 1.3 to 1.4 and exactly the same result - the 1.3 worked, the 1.4 did not. I’ll try a few more things and post my results