Slow upgrade 525 to Primo

Wherever you can get to it the fastest :wink:

2 Likes

What size conduit did you use? 1 inch?

I used the standard EMT 3/4 conduit. Kinda wish I had upgraded to the stainless steel pipe but I had got excited about Primo and started printing without thinking about upgrading. That being said I haven’t had issues with the conduit. Didn’t even have mid span support before.

So I had some covid symptoms this week but now feel totally fine. This has led to me needing to be distant from the family etc. At least until I get my test back, but the upside is I get to work in my shed. Sooo some progress was made, mostly on the enclosure with some on the electronics enclosure and wiring.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the worst is behind you…and you got something fun to do while keeping your distance!

2 Likes

Looks great! I like the idea of building an enclosure around it with some polypropylene cardboard.

1 Like

It looks like it is going to work good. I wasn’t very precise when I built the framing. It is not square so it looks a little wonky but should serve it’s purpose :wink:

Some more pictures.

3 Likes

Looks like a nice setup!

I’m hoping for a project that warrants a MPCNC! I think I need one… lol

Have you been keeping track of the all in cost? Just curious. It’s easy to downplay the actual cost with an Oh this will make it better splurge and not count it in total.

I mentioned to my wife it could be under $500, but to get it to run efficiently for a hobby is another thing. I have too many hobbies$$

1 Like

I haven’t kept track of the cost at all. I had built the previous iteration of MPCNC so I already had a lot of stuff. It definitely can add up cause of all the add ons. I have even more add ons planed for later (laser maybe). It is still cheaper than a project car.

@h0m3r2000 looking good so far!

@Miksonhome Mine is closer to $900 so far. I’m using the SKR Pro w/ 3.5” screen and electronics from V1, DOM tubing, custom wiring w/ aviation style connectors, starter bit set from V1 and a drop table. Router is not included since I already had one that I was planning on using. I’ll probably be closer to $1200 in the end. I still need to build the enclosure, control/display housings, dust collection… Here’s a link to my build if you want to have a look for reference.

You should be able to get sub ~$600 if you go with a cheaper controller, EMT conduit, a simple table… and it will help if you can reuse components from some other project like Mikey. I had to start from scratch since this was my first project.

2 Likes

I really wish I had upgraded to stainless steal for the primo . I just got over excited and printed the parts without considering it. I will say I have never noticed any big issues with conduit, but as use goes up I could see problems arise. I didn’t have mid span support on my previous setup either.

Thanks for the info. Your build looks great.

I have a lot of parts and extra potential controllers. My biggest hurdle is finding space. It needs a proper home. My basement is beyond full at the moment. And if I open my garage door stuff falls out.
But its mostly collected materials to make stuff with Sooo I need a Primo and i can get rid of said stuff!
Enjoy your machine!

1 Like

Thanks! I still have a good bit to go. Make sure you do a build log. I always like to see new builds.

1 Like

@h0m3r2000 how are the corrugated panels working out? Are you doing that mainly for dust or are you getting some sound dampening as well?

I haven’t run the machine yet so I’m not sure about the sound. I suspect it will not give much sound dampening. My intention is just keeping the dust from going everywhere. I am also going to figure out a new dust collection setup.

3 Likes

Did some drawings yesterday.

5 Likes

Ship wheel speed control.

5 Likes

Had a little time and partially built one enclosure door frame.

1 Like

I finally installed the doors.

6 Likes