Software - getting started

I’ll try it as soon as I get my machine out of the Uhaul. Try deleting the m03 line see if that is tripping it up. it shouldn’t but you never know.

Hi,

USB is very sensitive to electromagnetical noise. Timeouts can for example be caused by interferences from the spindle, compressors or vaccuum cleaners. Try a different, short and good quality USB cable - or try running without the spindle.

Christian

I do not have a spindle installed. I am testing the CNC control at this point

I do not think this has anything to do with the USB communication. I am able to load a stl file, slice it and ghost print a part (no hotend or spindle).

Is there a better tool to use to control the cnc other then Repitier with an Estlcam created program?

I think it is something in the code from EstlCam. I downloaded Pronterface and used the same .ncg code and it stopped at the same spot

I have success!!! sort of…
it runs REAL SLOW. Can you share a snapshot of the setup tab? Here are my settings
Clearance plane - 5.00mm
length unit Estlcam - millimeter
feed unit Estlcam - millimeter per second

I had do uncheck the arc commands to stop the communication errors

Odd, they work on my machine. Not sure what would cause this.

What versions of software are you running? Can you please share you settings for EstlCam?

I’ll try and get some screen shots tomorrow. Remind me if it isn’t up by the evening.

Again I proved I can run a sliced .stl file simulating a print but I can not run a .ngc from Estlcam. Please share with me the software combination and the settings you run.
Curt

I use Repetier and Estlcam as recommended. Do these setting match yours?

Almost identical. The start and end were different and I changed mine to match yours. What version of Repitier and Estlcam are you running. I am running Repitier 1.0.6 and Estlcam 8.064. Can you create the crown.ncg program in Estlcam and attach it or send it to me?
Curt

I just updated to the newest Estlcam, I will do my best to unpack the rest of the cnc today and give it a test run. If the file works as expected I will upload it here.

Hi there,

I also got this problem of the first runs being extremely slow.
I had no speed issue playing wiht the manual command in repetier so I guessed the gcode was giving bad feedrates.
It happened that if I switched the feedrate unit in the Marlin profile of ESTLCam from mm/s as you suggested to mm/min, it would print at the expected speed.
Then I checked in the Marlin code and docs to find out what was the ‘standard unit’ for feedrates, and found nothing but mm/min.
Maybe I missed something but I wonder how you got ESTLCam set in mm/s output valid feedrates for Marlin ?

Yup for some reason now it is mm/min, I swear it was mm/s before. I am updating the esltcam walk through today. Sorry for the confusion. This is why I am a hardware guy not software…

O-Tom
Thanks for pointing out something that I should have caught. I successfully drew the crown on paper!!!

Thanks Viscous and all who chimed in. Now I need to level everything and try some foam

Curt

Okay, sorry everyone for all the confusion. I have updated the Estlcam post with updated settings and a test file. Thank you all for getting me/us through it. The next batch of people to set up a CNC shouldn’t have these issues.

Feel free to delete this thread or as much as you want to minimize the confusion to others. I did successfully cut my first piece of wood tonight using the Dewalt 660 and an 1/8" endmill! I need to work on lowering the frame and tune in the level.

Dial it in and lets see some video evidence!
I just finished most of the unpacking from the move, now I am working on a monster of a video. I have a few more pieces to print. Hope to test it next week!