[Solved] Does anybody know why Estlcam puts (0,0) not where I want it to be?

I’m struggling with Estlcam (this is a perpetual position to be in) and the docs don’t help, and searching Google doesn’t help. I have a love-hate relationship with Estlcam (guess what I love to hate) and did spend the last few days looking at fabric.js, Javascript fill algorithms, SVG and Electron.js. Mmmm, I have V0.1.0 started already…

Anyway, I want to surface a piece of wood that’s 300x235mm. I create the rectangle in Inkscape, I export it in SVG, Estlcam reads the file, I pocket the inside of my 300x235mm at a depth of 0.2mm and it looks good. However when I export the file, I then get the gcode simulator and it starts the tool at a different location

Why does it have to move to the new location? I have no idea what this location is or how far (no ruler in the app), I can guess, but I don’t want Estlcam to do this. I want it to do what I want it to do, I want it to start from the location I gave it and not to be clever. I know people think Estlcam works for them, but I feel I am fighting it every £$%^%^&* single step of the way. It’s driving me to tears with its way of doing things (that’s not a joke, I’ve had to apologise to the kids for swearing loudly and profusely at the computer). I keep searching through Estlcam trying to find what this setting is but it’s not obvious to me.

Any help welcomed,

Thanks

Rob

What exactly does it change?is your pictures what you want. For me it puts the edge of you svg as 0.0. If I want it elsewhere draw a box around it to position your drawing

@timonjkl

The gcode generated is moving from a notional (0,0) that it has put in place to start the work. I have no idea where this new (0,0) is in Estlcam.

The picture is a simple rectangle, 300mm x 235mm. Thats the rectangle size in Inkscape. That the size I import and I ask it to pocket.

In the main view in Estlcam it looks correct, when I export the gcode though, it has created a new (0,0) and it then moves an amount to start the pocket, thats this bit here

I can’t find a setting to get rid of this. I know where I want the tool to start work, but Estlcam is putting in some distance (20mm in X and Y?) before I start the pocketing work. I can’t find a setting to remove it or to find out what is is?

Thanks

Rob

I believe that is your stepover . The distance away from the edge then it runs a cleanup pass around the the edge toleave a smooth side to the pocket

Ah! I think I have it, it’s me.

I didn’t let the simulation finish and it then does a run around the outside of the area and thats the bit I was missing.

I have been using a 2mm tool and this move hadn’t been obvious before, with a 25mm it is,

I’m an idiot.

Still going to look at fabric.js and electron.js though …
Rob

Always good to have different opinions. Glad you got it sorted