Somewhat Overengineered...Oh, Well

In order to continue assembly of my new sand table I had to remove the soda layer of the test run and found the fine sticky powder is quite a mess to handle. So I made a cyclone collector to prevent the soda from clogging the vacuum and to recover the soda cleanly.

The cyclone head and bottle connector are 3d printed. Otherwise there is only a large and a small Trader Joes sparkling water bottle, a few inches of 1" and two feet of 3/4" PVC pipe. Works pretty well, maybe even useful for other cleanup work.

[attachment file=80856]

[attachment file=80857]

[attachment file=80858]

Short video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqeinwooo70981c/VacuumCyclone.mp4?dl=0

2 Likes

DANG!!! So nice!

In case somebobody needs such a sucker (or a Ghostbuster gun), I attached a zip with the .stl and .sat files for the cyclone head and the bottle connector. It also contains the models for the sand comb (see image below) with 3 different length tines.

• I printed all parts from PLA without any support. In spite of the cavities and overhangs that worked just fine
  • Some minor cleanup with an exacto knife or sand paper may be required to make the tubes fit
  • There is a 4" long, 1" nom. diameter white PVC pipe glued into the center of the cyclone head
  • The suction tube is about 2 feet long from 3/4" nom. dia. PVC (preferably the thin wall 200psi variety). I softened the end with a hot air gun and squished it as a flat nozzle.
  • Cut the bottom of a large Trader Joe's sparkling water bottle with a box cutter right where the straight side transitions into the knobby bottom
  • Clean the mating groove in the cyclone head from fuzz (thick needle or back of an exacto blade)
  • Test fit the bottle and glue in with e.g. silicone (I used the clear non-foaming Gorilla glue)
  • Glue the suction tube into the side socket and fasten to the bottle, e.g with tape.
  • The coupling is designed to mate with my Dyson handheld vacuum. Other types may need an adapter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jvc9gve4nnmqvi/Cyclone.zip?dl=0

[attachment file=“80885”]

DSC01549.jpg

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.