Source on stepper cable extensions?

Hello Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has a source (US preferable) on extensions for the stepper motor cables. Things are a little too tight for comfort with my current wire routing.

Poking around the forums it seems most people are DIYing it with varying success. I am more than comfortable clipping the current wires to add some length, but I would need to buy the wire any way. I thought a properly crimped extender would save some hassle, but I cannot find anything with the correct male to female connectors.

Thanks for any pointers!

I used this Cable and crimped my own connectors with this Crimp kit .

1 Like

Ryan has extension harnesses in the shop right here on the site.

2 Likes

I completely missed those when i built mine.

So did I. I think you have to filter to “all products” rather than mpcnc specific.

I found a few on ebay as well…and only one of the 5 cables were missing a pin. Not bad for ebay standards.

Ah! Thanks @Slite and @nstiesi!

I thought I looked, but apparently not in the right category.

For those who make the same mistake and find themselves here:

2 Likes

I made the mistake of adding my own extensions. Connections landed inside rails, even with tape and little to no movement, I had a limit switch connection fail. So I had to pull everything back out and made 1 long wire for each connection, only connections now are at the board and at the motors.

I do my own to length, and I solder them so no pesky connectors to malfunction.

Cutting wires on motors gets you a connector to the other end after all extensions are in place.

With some neat guides for the wires it looks very clean.

Does anyone know if the extension wires are still available on the V1 site as I can not find them and the link no longer works.

Filtering for “wire” I still see the 4-conductor wire priced by the foot, but no pre-built extensions.

I’m happy I’ve got a crimper and learned how to use it, after a couple CNC and several 3D printer projects.

Thanks, yea I can make my own but wondering why the extension wires are not sold anymore. There must be another source for these!! Anyone know of one?