Sourcing comparable NEMA motors in Europe

I’m from Europe (Slovenia). I tried looking for the recommended NEMA17 motors (KL17H248-15-4A), but couldn’t find them. What are some comparable NEMA motors, which I could buy here (ebay, amazon.co.uk) or from China (AliExpress)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You are just looking for Nema 17 larger than 42 oz/in, the ones we use are typically 70-80 oz/in.

I am also originally from Europe, but have lived in the US for a while. Here is my quick stepper selection guide for Europeans, Americans please look away!

Steppers are often listed with not exactly scientific units for their torque and even without that, imperial units can be a bit confusing. While one could express torque as slugs times square miles per square fortnight over here, I would imagine that the torque will be more likely specified in proper units in Europe, e.g., Newton times centimeter. Ok, even here the specs list slightly more accessible units such as ozin, often written as oz/in. You are also likely to find kgcm or kg/cm, particularly if you extend your search towards the East. Here is how I interpret the listings: A division by length should be a multiplication. Replace kg by 10N. Imperial weight units should be interpreted as force, i.e., one oz is 1/16 lbf (pound-force). You are looking for a stepper with at least 42 oz(force)in (often listed as oz/in) or about 30 Ncm (might be listed as 3 kg*cm or 3 kg/cm). This equals roughly 11,613 slugs * (miles/fortnight)^2, just in case you were curious.

You can also look at the current draw. From what I have seen, steppers rated at 1.5-2A are probably in the ballpark, anything too far below that and I would be suspicious.

I googled the model number KL17H248-15-4A and there are multiple listings with different specs for the step angle (0.9° vs 1.8°). I do not know whether this makes a difference or not, but I doubt it would be very noticeable. Here is what I figured. On the X and Y axes, the 16 tooth pulleys move the 2mm pitch belt by 32mm per revolution. With a 1.8° motor and micro-stepping of 32 that equates to 5 microns per step. For a T8 leadscrew with 8mm/revolution the resolution is four times better on the Z axis. Those numbers are at least an order of magnitude better than the accuracy I am aiming for, so I used 1.8° steppers.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve searched the same thing, and it seems that around Europe they use N/cm instead of Oz/in. These for example (From Germany):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/231471243982?ul_noapp=true

Hope that helps,

Benjamin

I got these, shipped from Germany so no import cost or other custom duties.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/5PCS-Nema-17-Stepper-Motor-59Ncm-2A-4-wire-1m-Cable-for-DIY-3D-Printer-CNC-Robot-/262035547644

Thank you.

In the end I ordered these ones.

Regards.

There are a ton of unit converting clacs online.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/oz-in/to/newton+centimeter

42=~30

75=~53

I’m from the UK and have found the following Nema 17 motors:

17HS19-2004S1

The KL17H248-15-4A (from this site) only seem to be in the US.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152220150300?chn=ps

They have almost the same statistics but can anyone tell me if what i have found will work. I plan to use a ramps 1.4 board to run them off.

Any help would be great.

Did the nema 17s you got work for you out of the box or did you have to do anything befor conecting them to the ramps board?

I followed this series wiring diagram, which was posted by Ryan. I then downloaded the already built firmware, installed and configured repetier-host as instructed and that was it. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to get my motors from a UK supplier.

Would this set work for what i need?

They have a higher holding torque, but lower in mostly everything ells. in the end, what am i looking for that will work with the ramps board and be strong enough to do the job?

I know this is an old thread, but the question Jonny, was asking Wasn’t answered and I have the exact same question. I live in Canada, and the kit for the low rider is in the U.S. so rather than pay a conversion from CAD to USD, im trying to source the parts needed for the low rider build in Canada. I was curious by using a higher OZ.in nema 7 stepper, will this cause issues with power consumption or any other issues I can’t think of? I can find 5 nema 17 steppers with 83,6oz.in for a decent price. I cannot find the steppers sizd in the kit. I got all my printed parts made now now its just getting all the other components. Also another question, Could I use a any cubic trigorilla control board as my controller? I can load marlin on it. Or do i have to get an SKR or rambo?

I’m also in Canada (Ontario), and I’ll just share a cautionary tale, depending on how handy you are for a first go-round.

• I bought the LowRiderkit from V1, and was up cutting wood within a few days of part-time work. I’ve been enjoying using for last 8 months or so.
  • My dad, who actually inspired me to build the LowRider because he was building one too, has gone the get-each-part-cheapest route and… his still isn’t running yet. :slight_smile: He’s probably saved $100-200 CDN over what I paid total for the V1 kit.

I know it’s just a smaller scale trade-off of build-vs-buy, or time-vs-cash, but for me the time savings and the certainly of all the parts ‘just working’ was well worth the (relatively modest) higher price.

Larger motors are usually fine. Make sure they are still 1.8deg.

Hi everybody, I’m Max from Italy.
I’m new here so please forgive me for my question, I cannot find, as many other of you, the suggested stepper motors but I’ve found some NEMA 17 with the following characteristics:

Motore High Torque
NEMA-17 bipolare a 4 fili
Angolo di passo: 1.8 gradi
Coppia: 6 Kg-cm@1.8 Amps
Numero di passi: 200
Angolo: 1,8 gradi/passo
Tensione nominale: 3.4V
Resistenza: 2.5 Ohm
Corrente nominale: 1.8 A (per fase)
Induttanza: 1.8 mH
Dimensioni Asse: Ø5 x 22 mm
Dimensioni: 42 x 42 x 48 mm
Peso: 340 g

Can you tell me if they are ok for the MPCNC? Thanks in advance, Max

The specifications you have listed look OK, motor torque would be good to know, but the rest of that looks like it is consistent with the motors that we use. That looks lime it should be more than 54N.cm torque, which makes them suitable for V1 projects.

Thank you for your kind reply, the torque is 6 kg/cm more or less the suggested value.
Once again thank you
Max

kg/cm?!

Kids these days…

I love everything that’s old, old friends, old times, old manners, old wine, old books and old units of measure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Cubit Stone? I mean, I could probably even create a calculator…