Speed test….lowrider 2

:point_up: Just referencing back to see if anyone has any completed lowrider 2 speed test? I’m scared to death to skip teeth on a stepper motor however, I don’t wanna take 3 hours minimum per job. I do realize speeds and feeds all come down to your setup, type material and such. However, I’m more interested in touching on 1/2 inch mdf material right now.
Has anyone done any testing that supports this type? Did you have any issues and if you did what mm/min max was this? I barely pushed mine but seemed to hold fine for what I did but, took extremely long time.
Is there any set number we have that the stepper motors will go (In example - Max speed it will accept from fusion or other softwares)

Open to any information or even how someone did a test with different speeds? Maybe program same tool in fusion with different pockets that have speeds and feeds associated with them ???

Thanks #v1fambam :metal:

Skipping steps doesn’t grind gears or skip teeth. There are no gears or teeth inside a stepper motor. The crunching noise it makes is just it skipping from one set of magnets to the next. It sounds like crunching because it snaps to that next magnet position very fast and stops almost immediately. It isn’t causing any damage to the steppers.

Be judicious about testing it. But don’t be afraid to find the limits. The worst thing that happens is that you are going too fast, you skip steps during a real cut, and it ruins your workpiece. So test on scrap, find a limit and then back away from it before putting in your expensive material.

2 Likes

Guess I assumed skipping steps would throw things out of whack. I prolly should research maybe steppers a little more. I figured they acted on a degree movement inside. So if i skipped the steps it would then cause issues with being true.
Is there a time frame one should replace belts ?

Where are you finding the non-expensive material? I’m starting to feel like an old man with prices… “Back in my day…”

Steppers “count steps” from some starting location. If you “skip steps”, it has no way of knowing. So from that point on, it will not know where it is, and cut in the wrong spot. But all of that gets completely reset when you restart the machine, or home with endstops.

It isn’t skipping teeth on the belts or pulleys either. It is just like a very heavy compass being pushed away from north, spinning around and pointing back at north very fast. Except inside a stepper, there are 50 norths, so it just snaps to the next one.

It has to be the same material. So if you are cutting into 150 year old mahogany, you need to test it on 150 year old mahogany, or something close enough that you don’t have any surprises.

If the project isn’t worth a test piece, then it isn’t worth the work piece. Accidents do happen, but it is cheaper to find the problems in a cut off than in your beautifully milled final material.

2 Likes

@jeffeb3 Appreciate that man! makes more sense that way and reassuring that i wont totally full send and completely botch it up lol

1 Like