Speeds and feeds

Cut this speaker case out of 12mm ply and came out real nice! Using a 6mm end mill 2 flutes 4mm doc and 8mm/s and Took about 15 minutes. Can I go faster/quicker as it seemed to cut fairly easily?

2 Likes

You can certainly test it. It is very machine dependent. You should try going deeper first. If you can increase the depth enough to get rid of one pass, then you’ll be saving a bunch of time. If you add in a finishing pass, you can get great precision in the same time.

Looks great though.

1 Like

Great! I had 4mm doc with 4 passes as the total depth was set to 12.5mm. I may try 6.25mm doc to remove 2 passes but keeps speeds the same. Let me know if this is a bad idea!

2 Likes

Nope. I would hope the accuracy is the first thing to suffer. Hopefully things are just a bit bigger than they should be as you start pushing it. You don’t want to skip steps. That’s definitely too hard (or there’s something wrong with the machine). And like I was saying, if you can speed it up and leave a little extra material on there, but then come back with a full depth finishing pass, you can have great outcomes and fine quality.

There’s always a risk that it will goof up though. So be conservative if you can’t afford to lose a little material.

I was carving the other day at 7mm DOC, 10mm/s with a 1/8" single flute. It left some extra material on there, but it didn’t complain.

Great I’ll give it a go and test the accuracy first! Thanks for your help