Sprinklers and roots

I’m sure some of you have been there. Turned on the sprinklers yesterday. I found a leak, but it is under 12" of tree roots. But, after a bunch of hatchet work and digging, I found this:

The pipe was smashed by the roots to about a 1/8" (3mm) opening. It is 1" pipe! But I finally got to the spot where it was just tubing repair:

I cleaned it all up, cleaned the lines downstream (I got sone dirt in there). And the new section is leak free…

Unfortunately, there is another leak about 2 feet farther down. :angry: :sob:.

I think these roots grow even bigger around these pipes. So frustrating. I ran out of time, so I haven’t seen the second leak yet.

Yeah that is nasty work. Cutting through the roots. I had a issue about 6 months ago. Had my sewer line back up…the plumber scoped it, tree roots in the main 4-5" line. We were discussing options to get to it 5’ down. The next day my water main into the house popped. They were on opposite sides of the tree. Both messed up 2 days apart.

Plumber brought in a backhoe and a helper, took all day to get through the roots to the 5’ deep sewer line. He took one scoop on the water main side and said he would not do it and left. Said it wasn’t worth it. So Me and a neighbor tackled the 3’ deep water main with a shovel and a sawszall…and a shop vac, blasted the dirt with a hose, vac it out, cut the roots, rinse and repeat.

The tree is now gone as well…

1 Like

Sawsall, huh? Does it cut ok through dirt? I am ready for a horsepower solution (I have been using the hatchet).

sawzall works. Been there, done that.

1 Like

Dirt kills the blade pretty fast. So the hose and vac got the dirt out from around the large roots, then sawzall, I went through a few blades. The other roots I used a hand trimmer lopper. There were a lot of roots 4’ or so from a 20’ tree.

1 Like

Google Sawzall ugly pruning blade.
I had one for YEARS and beat the crap out of it on trees, lumber, and cutting roots through dirt. Bent it a bunch of times, just bent it back.
Edit: Google keeps linking me to Amazon and this thing keeps dragging me into the app where I can’t share a link. Looks like this.

6 Likes

I have a cordless “hackzall” tool, and a Diablo carbide tipped pruning blade. The combination is awesome for this sort of work. highly recommended.

2 Likes

+1 on the Diabolo blades for Sawzall’s on roots! And also for ShopVac excavation. Only way to get things cleared out, at least here in Colorado root bound neighborhoods!

2 Likes

If you wear a mask, you can come show me how it is done. :D. I’ll watch from inside.

4 Likes

Crazy Times!

I used to do this stuff with a chainsaw, clear out as much dirt as you can and you still need to sharpen the chain after every 1.5 cuts. The sawzall pruning blades are awesome, do the job really well, stay sharp much longer, and are pretty useful for otherwise pruning any other wood/trees/bushes.

2 Likes

Round 2 happened this afternoon. The sawsall was pretty good at cutting through the pipe I didn’t realize was there (from another zone). I actually still think the hatchet is competitive with it, but they work better in different situations.

I would have wanted to replace it anyway, since it was directly above the leak I am trying to fix. I am once again at the place where I have room to work, but I need more pipe.

Drop back and punt?

3 Likes

My “punt” solution is to reduce the size of the lawn and xeriscape. 8^)

If it gets really bad, get bigger lasers and xenoscape…

All fixed. You can hardly tell where it was, but if you look very close, you can see where the grass looks like it is all torn up, dried out, and hastily replaced.

No leaks though. And I am trying really hard to not pay attention if there are any more near this tree.

5 Likes

Job well done! Super close to the tree, that had to be rough.

I miss my tree a lot, but I am glad to know I will not have that sort of plumbing issue again any time soon.

2 Likes

Save the tree! unless its large enough to cut up for a replacement waste board for the MPCNC. (sorry tree, that was meant as a joke)

Cut pipe on each side of the tree and dig around it and lay new pipe. 2 bends and a bit of new pipe. Much easier than fighting with roots. Tree gets to live another day, no blunt saws, no dead body to dispose of. Hinge the grass layer back and replace when done and no one will ever know.

Killing a tree cause it broke your irrigation seems a little extreme don’t you think. Live and let live old boy.

sorry, Above was a poor attempt at humour, getting mal being stuck at home. Gotta find a new project to start.

I’m not planning on killing the tree. It is on the south corner of our lawn. It makes the whole yard 10x nicer all summer long.

I did cut through some big roots, but this tree is huge.

I usually do hinge the grass, but the roots were on the surface. The grass was basically sitting on top, when it could.

Also, I’m hopefully done for this year.

1 Like

Mother nature may not be finished with you yet. She is a hard task master.

We have quite large trees here in South Africa.
nature-trees-2000-years-old-tree-in-South-Africa-known-as-tree-of-life-Baobab

But in America if it gets in the way, then just go through it. :smile:

3 Likes