Starting my build in Texas

Just placed my order here for the kit.
Going to be building a 24×24" working area MPCNC.

Got all my parts printed and EMT purchased.

Parts are all printed with 0.6mm nozzle, 4 perims, and 40-60% infill. :slight_smile: should make for sturdy frame parts.

Going to be cutting the EMT tonight. :slight_smile:

Our main usecase will be PC case design and mods.
Mostly doing thin aluminum sheets and acrylic.

5 Likes

Welcome to the club!

Where abouts in Texas are you? I’m less than an hour west of Austin and Cedar Park, out near the highland lakes.

Looking forward to seeing your build and creations!

2 Likes

I’m in between Lubbock and Midland/Odessa. :slight_smile:
And thanks, I’m pretty excited to take the dive. Been printing for a couple years now with multiple 3d printers, but this will be my first dive into CAM/CNC.

1 Like

It was the same for me, two months ago. I’ve 3d printed for several years, but never messed with CAM/CNC before. I gotta say, its a completely different experience, and I’ve been having a blast with it since I got my machine up and running.

I’m constantly thinking of “upgrades” and changes I want to make to it, and have already made a few. Each one makes the machine even more amazing.

2 Likes

I have been productive with mine, but I have spent as much time adding bells and whistles to it. Then I have been doing a lot of work on alternate control hardware and firmware. Would like to try grbl and Easel and am ready to connect a PC to it with linuxcnc ready to go.

1 Like

I’m doing the Dual Endstop version, should be a lot of fun. I’ll be posting updates along the way here as I get it built and running :slight_smile:

Quick update, got my EMT cut to size while I wait for the parts to arrive. Very excited!

Also went ahead and deburred all the cuts.

3 Likes

Hardware kit has arrived. Starting the build this week!

3 Likes

I remember getting these motors and marveling how neat and tidy they are. They looks so simple, but the heft is great. Amazing that something small can do so much, but that is the power of electricity. It’s all magic.

1 Like

Small progress update. I unfortunately haven’t had much time to assemble, but I got the rollers done and the legs assembled.

I’ve been talking with some other people that have built an MPCNC and I’ll either be cutting some shorter legs or cutting holes in the table and allowing the legs to float out of the bottom to make it height adjustable.
We’ll see how it goes with them this tall, but if I end up with subpar performance, I’ll follow through with my plan above and make it shorter to gain some rigidity. I didn’t realize they were unusually tall until it got pointed out.

I don’t like the leg system myself, I opted to make the corners bolt thrpugh

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtUddtHxpFThkWeR8)

2 Likes

Interesting, I like that idea too. I might look into doing similar. Thank you for the photos.

Nice work. I really like the concept, and now it’s portable. What did you do about the little spacer that goes between the conduits?

That has a through hole as well

A bit more progress. Still gotta tighten down the motor mounts, and get it on a table. All measured square so far. Still gotta tension it all and finish putting belts on and wire it up.

Others have noted it’s a bit tall as mentioned before, but gonna run with it for now and if it gives me trouble it’ll get shortened.

2 Likes

Quick update, it’s alive!
Still gotta get a base for it in the next day or two.
But it’s running and I got a successful crown. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some more pen/marker plotting.

4 Likes

Just finished this one! Came out pretty clean!

4 Likes

I really like that. What is the source (of the line drawing, not The Starry Night).

Edit: Maybe I should just google it … “starry night van gogh line art” seems to do the trick. Thanks for the idea!