Step to Work with Software on Lowrider2 & MPCNC Primo

Hello everyone! Sorry if maybe I repeat a post that has already been written by others.

I am waiting to receive the parts to build the Lowrider2 and the MPCNC Primo. I have already purchased the makita and the tips of Amana Tools for the work that I have to do with these two machines. I still have difficulty understanding which are the software use processes that must be followed as in the past I used Fusion360 to work, but I would like to change optics and adapt to what is better for the two machines. I try to express myself in steps and ask you if they are correct or if I am doing something wrong, as hardware I have the Rambo on both machines:

• Step 1 - Upload the DXF into ESTLCAM
  • Step 2 - I assign the machinings by matching the correct cutters
  • Step 3 - Save the work as a CNC Program
  • Step 4 - I open ESTLCAM CNC Controller and load my saved program
  • Step 5 - I move the axis to identify the zero piece from which to start the work using the Tiny Touch Plate V1
  • Step 6 - Start processing

Regarding step 4, can I use ESTLCAM Controller with the license or do I have to buy dedicated hardware?

Thanks so much everyone for the help / feedback
Simone

Step 3 when you save change it to .gcode unless you are doing step 4

Step 4 requires a specific control board flashed by estlcam. Most people transfer the gcode to sd card and plug into the machine. Or they have a pi running V1Pi plugged into the board and run cncjs through a web browser to control the cnc

Does the doc at software workflow make this any clearer?

Hello everyone, and sorry for the delay in replying. In the meantime, thanks for your feedback. I have read all the workflow well and it is very clear to me, I certainly like the possibility of using cnc.js more as I would like an always active controller.

At the same time (I don’t want to sound mangy) but I found a series of YT videos showing how to use the whole ESTLCAM suite with Arduino and an external board to connect.

I also wrote to Christian from ESTLCAM and not being able to ship the cards outside Germany he told me that ESTLCAM works on all Ramps and is commonly used on MPCNC.

Having said that, looking at the video I can’t understand if arduino + that board replace the ramps or if they are additional, looking at the video also you understand that the software configuration is not Marlin but directly with the ESTLCAM configuration parameters.

Does anyone know anything about it, especially about whether Ramps should be excluded or not?

Thanks to everyone as always

The Video i’ve found

I haven’t ever tried using the estlcam controller. Honestly, running a windows machine as part of the cnc control loop makes me cringe.

It used to support ramps and then it didn’t for a long time and now it does again. Unlike marlin or grbl firmware, it is not open source. Which means we can’t adopt it and update it if there is an issue in the future. If Christian decides to drop ramps for v12 or something, we won’t be able to do anything about it.

Hello everyone and thank you very much for the clarity on the differences. As you have already advised @jeffeb3 I will probably use the V1PI version in order to have a monitor controller.

I study how to connect the PI and how to make the configurations to use it.

Thanks everyone again

I haven’t watched the whole video, but the still frame showing in your post is an Arduino Uno, CNC shield and 3 stepper drivers. The combination of these boards would be a replacement for a RAMPS board. The CNC shield is limited to 4 total drivers so cannot support auto-squaring with dual endstops, but if you have a way to start the machine square it will stay square as long as the stepper motors are energized. It’s what I’m using on my MPCNC Burly right now. I’m running grbl rather than ESTLCAM, but I have PWM spindle speed control, endstops on all 3 axes, Z probe (independent of Z homing), and 2 auxiliary relays operational.

That hardware is inexpensive and does run grbl, so it represents a low-risk opportunity to try out the ESTLCAM control software if that appeals to you. While it is true that ESTLCAM is not open source, investing in that hardware won’t be a dead end whatever Christian decides to do going forward.

Of course, if you already have a RAMPS setup, you don’t need to buy any additional hardware. If you have 5 stepper driver “sticks” you can also get dual homing on RAMPS, either with V1’s Marlin configuration or with grbl, but I don’t think ESTLCAM supports that yet.

Thanks @ttraband for your feedback, have a website/video or image of your hardware configuration?

Thanks again
Simone

I don’t have a website or videos at the moment, but I have posted some pics on other topics on this forum. I’ve shoe-horned all the electronics into an old enclosure, but I can shoot a couple of pictures of that perhaps this evening once I can get in to the shop. I’ll also pull a dump of my $ settings from grbl, although most of them will be specific to my build.

Hi @jeffeb3 I have read some of your answers about software in this forum. I seem to have read that it is possible to use CNCjs without resorting to a PI. I downloaded the software to study it, and found some settings for Marlin. That said, by connecting via USB to the PC I use the Rambo CNCjs directly without going through the PI?

Yes. There are “desktop” versions for windows, mac and linux. You need to choose the right serial port, baud is 250k, type is marlin and don’t use hardware flow control.