Stepper Motors getting Hot

How hot is too hot for the steppers? noticed they were pretty warm to the touch after running for about an hour and a half. had been turned off for several hours prior. If they shouldnt be hot what do i need to check? running Ryans dual endstop firmware and no changes to stepper current.

I’ve heard Ryan say they should be at or below 50C. Warm is normal. They will also make heat if they are moving or not.

hottest i was with my infrared thermometer was 120° F which is 48.8° C so i guess im good to go. Thanks!!

The PLA parts they’re bolted to will soften and deform at about 60C, although the motors themselves are good for more. I’ve seen 80C recommended as a maximum for extruder steppers. That’s about when the magnets will demagnetise. The insulation on the wires should be good for well over 100C.

Are you using my steppers (all black or black and silver?) or your own? I tried not to cut it that close but maybe I bumped them up too much.

Using your steppers. Black and silver.

Thanks for the info. You are still safe, I was shooting for under 50C so technically I just got closer than expected.

No problem. I havent had any issues with the PLA at that temp so i think we are good. I just wasnt expecting it so wanted to double check. Thanks!