Stepper noises with 2209s skr pro v1.2

When motors are holding I’m getting high frequency noise (such as described here: Very high pitch noise emmitting from stepper motors when not in use ). That’s normal and I’m not so worried about it but I had understood that the 2209s had stealth chop that would mitigate it.

Again I’m not worried about the noise so much but how can I confirm that I’m getting all the 2209 goodies such as the lower hold current etc. ?

I’m using the skr pro kit and motors with stock dual endstop firmware.

No expert but I’m pretty sure stealth chop costs you torque so it’s probably turned off in settings.

On 3D printers that live inside and print for hours/days noise is a big factor but for a cnc it’s a minor contributor compared to the router/vac.

If they are singing loudly you may want to change your current by a few miliamps to change the tone a bit.

OK, great, thanks, so I can rest assured that the other features (reduced holding current etc.) are available and active in the stock dual endstop firmware?

You would have to recompile but yes… many things can also be changed using g code commands as well.

Apologies, I may have misexpressed myself.

My question is :
In the stock dual endstop firmware, without any edits or recompiles, do we have the features mentioned in the docs : SKR Pro - V1 Engineering Documentation

Specifically this line

main features we use are digital current control and dynamically lowering the hold current so we can also keep stepper and driver heat down while operating at slightly higher than usual stepper power

Or is editing / recompilation required (I hope to avoid customizing anything in the firmware if possible so that I can easily update)

That’s something others more knowledgeable than me would have to answer. I compiled mine because I have other issues that had to be addressed that could only be done with firmware.

You may want to google Up a list of marlin gcodes. It’s actually pretty interesting to see all the features, though not all are available. Many of the are saveable via m500.

I write a ton of macros for my lowrider for doing job setups, sensorless homing, etc. and knowing what gcodes are available was invaluable.

1 Like

do we have the features mentioned

Yes, the V1 maintained firmware has the settings. In configuration_adv.h, the settings are done inside this #IF :

#if HAS_TRINAMIC_CONFIG

For example, I see this define for holding current:

#define HOLD_MULTIPLIER    0.5  // Scales down the holding current from run current

And the current is set in the firmware, not using the pot.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: LowRider Z axis issues