Steppers "chattering" issue

Having some issues with my steppers.
I got these off of Amazon (STEPPERONLINE 5PCS Nema 17 Stepper Motor Bipolar 2A 84oz.in 48mm 4-Lead for 3D Printer/CNC).

While testing a simple diagonal X/Y movement test at max speed, sometimes it works with no issue and other times the X and/or the Y axis will “chatter” or seemingly bind up randomly??

In the attached vid, at the end the X axis binds up and stops moving.
You cannot see in the vid, but the axis is not colliding with X/Y origin, it began chattering about 20~30 mm from the end and is now out of sync. The chattering sound sounds a bit like you were holding the stepper.

motor chatter.zip (3.9 MB)

Before and after I checked and with the power off there is no mechanical interference, just the load of the non-powered steppers. Any help would be appreciated.

See gcode:

G90
G21
M84 S0
G92 X0 Y0 Z0

G0 X0 Y0 F5500
G0 X400 Y400 F5500

G0 X0 Y0 F5500
G0 X400 Y400 F5500

G0 X0 Y0 F5500
G0 X400 Y400 F5500

G0 X0 Y0 F5500
G0 X400 Y400 F5500

G0 X0 Y0 F5500

Again thanks in advance.

jkcnet

I didn’t see the video, but 90mm/s is pretty fast. I would expect some non smooth motion to happen. I think that might be over the speed limit set in the firmware, actually.

Thanks for the tip.

Yep, I was trying to push the speed to max to see if I could make the issue present itself as it occurs randomly. I have performed several test cuts using Aspire with no issues, but there were no long X/Y movements. When used Fusion 360 to gen the Gcode, I setup to drill my spoil board for threaded inserts this issue occurred. But I have only cut a few tests so far.

Can you recommend a max speed for X / Y movement (no cutting load) and I’ll test at that speed?

Also when I first setup the X / Y axis I noticed that if I moved by hand the X or Y too quickly the unpowered motors would also “chatter” in a somewhat similar way.

If you are familiar, do you know of any quality issues with steppers from omc-stepperonline.com?

Thanks!
jkcnet

Does it happen under 30mm/s? Those steppers could need more power, or you could just be trying to move too fast.

Maybe not. I say that because I’m not 100% sure what the
I’ll test that speed next. On my cutting tests so far I have not seen this issue.

I set the cut speed to the 8mm/s recommended but I’m not sure how or what the no load speeds were (newbie). I’ll get there.

Once it warms up or I drag my MPCNC back to my office I’ll test at that speed.

Thanks,

jkcnet

Finally made some time to check the movement and running at the 30mm/sec rate and no chattering. Thanks for the tips.

jkcnet

1 Like