SteveD's LR3 Manta MP8

Started my LR3 build after giving my MPCNC to my nephew when I moved cross country. Standard 4x8 build. Going to try and run with the Manta board and Klipper.

2 Likes

I’m gunna need a bigger box. Down loaded Fusion 360 and Ryan’s Box model and Mixed this.

2 Likes

Just make sure you have enough space between struts, to hang the case. The board/case is so big that that might not be fit.

Good Call! Downloaded the strut file and checked the measurements. I have .5 mm to spare, well within mallet adjustment specs. I will have to notch the lid to clear the head of the strut bolt on one side. The back hanger is split on the box so it will fit on the temporary struts also. The top of the box is going to hold the SmatiPi Touch 2 Case (because I have some).The Manata has a CM4 on the board so I won’t need to put a Pi in the screen case.

1 Like

@steved

Regarding this point, check out the “split” hanger on my control boxes that have it. Here’s a link to an example:
https://www.printables.com/model/277219-lowrider-3-cnc-control-box-case-for-btt-skr-14-tur

The hanger has a couple of key aspects. 1) It is shorter than the control box length, yet still prints without supports. 2) The split hanger means it can serve both while using the temp strut things and after the actual struts are in place.

Note: The latter feature above is not my invention. I got inspiration for it from the hanging bracket work of Dan @SupraGuy.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, my fusion skills are weak but I’ll take a shot at # 1. #2 is in the design. I do like the fans in your designs, might have to have a go at those too.

1 Like

I’ve been doing the JST / Molex swap with my boards. The BigTreeTech Manata board I’m working with now just wasn’t having it. I’m using the TMC 5160 drivers on the SPI bus. The SPI bus may be more sensitive to noise caused by imperfect connections. I don’t feel like desoldering the JST’s and soldering on the Molex. Of course the four sets of crimpers in I have won’t do a proper job on the Micro JST pins, so a pair of Iwis SN-01BM are on the way.