Still need laser help

Thanks Barry! I’ve actually done that twice. I think Im getting the 2 U8glib error because the rambo board addition adds the library and therefore when I add it its in 2 places… the SPI.h error exists when I install arduino…(this is a new laptop, where the only things i need for mpcnc stuff are on here…)

Not sure what to do about the u8glib error - what version should i install? the instructions say the latest…

Im going to completely wipe everything- for the 4th time… i only get a compile issue when i enable the laser/spindle settings - there is some function definition missing…

I got a successful upload of the firmware. I went to the preconfigured repo and not the other and selected the appropriate branch…i was faced with a completely different configuration_adv.h and enabled the laser option - I later found i needed to invert the pwm and on/off states - I got a successful burn!

Now that i can cut shapes and, well, dragons :wink: I was playing with the raster image software image to gcode and it doesnt seem to be rastering and just burning a line - the preview is much different then the output as if the Y isnt getting a signal.

What is the workflow to raster an image with the laser -
I converted the image to gcode
imported it in Repetier-Host
and its stuttering and pausing a lot

i commented out the few lines in Marlin.cpp for the V2 fix and also took the advice of “Some Old Guy Coding” and disabled the junctions.

I have updated the firmware since his video, I do not think you need to make these changes.

1 Like

i checked the code and they were still active

But I have edited 3 values to make them work properly (I think).

1 Like

ill uncomment my changes and do it again… i made the changes as a precaution…

hmmm. maybe we can add some info to the firmware/laser pages to better illustrate the changes? and add a note to older forum/tutorial/posts - it took me forever to research and implement.

thanks, Ryan

What should I add?

1 Like

After i was able to burn a circle i created this dragon - looks good. Its about 2" in scale, but if you notice there are fatter lines in some of the curves and some lines are thin - do you know how to troubleshoot something like that?

dragon_laser.jpg

To trouble shoot A few larger simple shapes would make it easier, or make that 2-3X and lets have a good look at it. The picture is too small to show enough detail to see an issue on this end.

1 Like

I would do a wiring diagram on how to hookup a laser (both 12v and 5v) and a small tutorial on software examples - nothing too in depth.
Also reference all the helpful thingiverse creations out there. I would also stress and provide plans for fume extraction. I can share what I did (I dont smell any smoke in my basement).

I can write a few blog posts on my site and send you the links if you would like…

One thing that I found confusing (and I’m a developer by trade) is the Git repositories - you should probably just reference the pre-configured repos…and explain a bit more about choosing the right branch - or if they are going to clone the repo its better to fork it first - I popped someone else’s stash LOL :wink:

Thanks again, Ryan!

1 Like

The community editable instructions are just about ready if you want to add info there.

I do not have a working laser to test with, both of mine have popped trying to make instructions (and a mis-marked PCB, and a DOA replacement). In my laser page I highly recommend Jtech because they have all the info provided and reputable equipment. Unfortunately I think the import lasers are starting to go like the Ramps and are getting worse in quality. This is why I did not want to offer you info, I am not a pro at this, I have wasted too much money on the imports, the Jtech just plugs right in and is US legal (interlock).

1 Like

What are you suggesting with the firmware page? Direct downloads instead of github and the dropdown? Or like a list of boards configurations and direct links?

This is what I did to set it up ( see images).

I supplied the laser with 12v and GND and ran GND and the 5v PWM pin to GND and pin 45 on the Rambo 1.4 board.

Also the laser has an on and off button and when you turn it on it goes full power. Is there a way to make it not do that?

Im going to do a whole write up of my setup, but i basically soldered a 1kohm resister between PWM and GND, because the pwm pin is floating. poor controller design. See images

1 Like

That would be cool but a pain to maintain, no? Basically anything to make it easier for the NOOB - lay it out on a silver platter. :slight_smile:

I have a question about adding a pull down resistor to the laser controller. My laser was always on 100% so I added a pulldown resister of 1k ohm to the GND and PWM pins. which was working well until i tried to cut through 3mm birch plywood. It seems the laser isnt getting to 100%

I did 25 passes (a circle) at 100% with a travel speed of 20mm and didnt get anywhere.

However i removed the resistor and turned on the laser (instantly turned on to 100%) - for about 5 seconds not moving and it cut right through.

Is there a change i can make to the Firmware to combat the current state of my laser not getting to 100% when i install my “safety resistor” :slight_smile:

or

Does anyone know the minimum resistor value I would need to get the laser to an initial off state?

bump

I purchased the 5.5w OxLaser from amazon which is 12v power and 5V PWM. My version did not need the resistor but I did see a mention of a resistor for the less powerful models and he recommends a 1K ohm one so you are doing it fine to this point.

I followed the instructions on the laser site to the T but the only thing I did not do is the spindle control which I believe is broken. (M3 commands have a delay or something and the Marlin site says “not for laser use” so that is when I decided to go the Fan route (M106 S0-255 and M107 to shut down). The issue is that the normal fan port on the Rambo boards give 12V PWM out of those pins.

I remapped my Fan port to pin 45 and simply use the fan commands to change the intensity of the laser in Lighburn.

Have this setup working w/o any issues.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

1 Like