Stratocaster Style Guitars

Wanted to make a couple of stratocaster style guitars. I love to play, but I just don’t want to spend $1000 on a nice Fender Strat. I will eventually, but I have kids, and they knock over my beater guitars all the time. I thought this might be a great project to spend some time in the shop and have something useful and worthwhile to show for it.

Results:

I still haven’t sprayed finish on the Walnut Strat.

Bought a 10 dollar 60s model strat plan from ElectricHerald.com. Great folks over there. Good customer support when I came across a few issues with the drawing. Quick feedback and solutions.

Setup my CAD files and proceeded to the trusty ol’ LowRider!

Did a miniature test with all cuts in plywood to make sure the dimensions were accurate.

!
After a good checkout, we went ahead with cutting the templates for the build.

After that, the build was straight forward. With a little bit of woodworking, and just a couple specialized tools, building the guitars was a pleasure.

Uploading: PXL_20210427_201103555.jpg…
The necks were built from some reclaimed maple and walnut

Aniline dye is beautiful even on pine, but be very careful as it is toxic.

Very happy with the results. They play perfectly and they look great hanging on the wall in my living room.

27 Likes

Well Done! Let there always be music!

Bravo! That is just a fantastic build.

You cut templates so I assume there will be more!?!

1 Like

Nice
Do you mind if I ask how much all the hardware (e.g pickups, frets, etc cost) to build a guitar like that?

2 Likes

Yeah, there are more plans too. I’m probably doing a Tele next.

1 Like

It ranges. Mine is all genuine fender so like 240, but you could do it for 50 with chair parts

3 Likes

$50 is very inexpensive. $250 isn’t bad for high end parts.

2 Likes

Very nicely done. Not sure how all this works. You say you made templates but then do you trace them out on the wood and cut them with a bandsaw or use the lowrider to machine them to final spec.
Thanks,
Dave

I cut the templates completely on the lowrider, then route the guitars using the templates after bandsawing them to approximate size.

Why not cut them directly on lowrider? Does it take too long because it would take a lot of passes, endmills not long enough, or something else?

To be honest, I’m not set up for two sided milling. I haven’t put in the time to figure out flipping to get the back side cut. My one try resulted in a misalignment that cost me about $30 in materials. Templates are usually the standard in hobby guitar making, so I was just happy not to pay $100 for a full set.

1 Like

It was also thinking about making a guitar, but since I only can do 3cm depth (went for the shortest feet) I thought about doing two pieces, front and back, each 3cm and glue them together. is that in any way feasible?

Absolutely. It’s done all the time. Mostly painted guitars are laminated. Some are even plywood.

Cool, thanks. I am a drummer myself and would build it for our guitar player. So I have got no fucking clue about guitars. :slight_smile:
If you want to have a good video on two sided cutting: DIY High-End Jazz-Bass-Guitar produced with the CNC machine HNC 47.82 from Hammer® | Felder Group - YouTube I really like their video. It gave me a few good ideas. :slight_smile: They drill holes for pegs that are then fixed to the spoilboard, so you can just turn it around.

Awesome!! Rock on !