Strip down the dewalt 660?

i can’t remember where i saw it, but there’s a walkthrough out there on stripping unnecessary parts off the dw660 to give it a lower profile and cut down on the bulk of the router. has anyone else seen this?

i ended up finding a good tear-down with pics (a guide to replace the brushes) that helped me out in this dept.

1 Like

Don’t tear it down too much. I did that and had issues getting a good mount for the bottom of the device. I put the bottom guard back on to use the mpcnc clamp.

I hear removing the “tooless” bit change lock helps alot with changing out bits while it is mounted in the mpcnc. That’s probably the only thing I would remove. Though I would be interested in knowing how much you stripped off yours and how it’s working for you.

1 Like

At this point I have taken the back end of the shell off, I am working on modeling a new shorter cap with an AC inlet to reorient the direction the cord runs and make it easier to swap out the router for the laser

1 Like

I ended up putting the tool less part back on. Without it, you have to have 3 hands to change the bit. One for each wrench and one to hold the bit.

3 Likes

i have succeeded in replicating the mating part, step file is included for anyone interested in doing something similar.

i just found the amperage rating for the 2 prong inlet i was hoping to use and it’s not gonna be able to handle the router. 2 pin aviation connectors say they are rated for 7 amps but i’ve never used one for more than maybe 2. anybody with experience know if this will work?

1 Like

Well, I just looked and see ones spec’ed at 125V 5A so I expect there are 7A.

My concerns would be ensuring the shell is grounded - I’ve never used these for AC applications.

Also, and this is obvious, ensure that the female end is on the live side so there are no hot pins sticking out.

Personally, I might stay with a small powercord tail and avoid future confusion about what is coming out the back of the router - my 2 cents.

1 Like

the cord being live wouldn’t be an issue, i have the router on a relay that only flips on for routing jobs, but i was iffy about the grounding, i ended up digging a 3 prong ac inlet out of a junk drawer and it’s a 10amp rating, so i’m just gonna go with that, it’s not much bigger and i found a model of it on grabcad so win/win in my book

1 Like

Marius Hornberger has a video where he recommended some plugs for AC power tools. They were pricey when I looked them up, but if you only need a couple or you can use these as the basis for a search on cheaper places, maybe it will work for you.

1 Like

Those are pretty nifty, thanks

I’m using a 2 prong aviation plug on my router. It’s working quite well.

1 Like

oh thank you! that’s exactly what i needed to see!

i just found one on amazon that only cost me 29 cents after my applying a 5% off coupon and my ~$6 in rewards points. score.

1 Like

Finished the modeling and printed it:

It’s a good 2" shorter and aviation connector-ready.

4 Likes

Revisions had to be made to accommodate the rpm sensor for the PID speed control. Slightly taller, now sporting 2 aviator connectors - 1 for ac in, the other for sensor out.

1 Like