Stroke Font/Single Line Font: What is your goto font or resource?

My basic question: Is there a particular goto resource (website, particular software program, particular font) that you rely on? Before you answer, here is a bit of background, and some stuff that might be useful to others.

Background
I have not done that much testing, but as I learn this CNC stuff it soon became evident that engraving typical outline fonts does not work out so good. After googling a bit the concept of CNC fonts, engraving fonts, stroke fonts, and/or single line fonts was made aware to me. I had simply assumed that since these alternative fonts have been around for a while, there would be a massive collection of fonts to choose from. Almost like a library of single line fonts that map to every outline font.

I don’t think that is the case.

Useful Resource #1 (New - Hershey Text 3.0 & Inkscape)

Within Inkscape there is a generator for this called Hershey Text. There is a newer version of this that works better (I think cause you can just replace existing text) namely version 3.0 that will be included Inkscape 1.0 (not yet released). However, they provide a way to install it with the current version of Inkscape. I provide a screenshot below. The information for Hershey Text is kinda cryptic, here is a summary of links:

Screenshot - Before

Screenshot - After

Useful Resource #2 - imajeenyus

Summary of Single Line Fonts.
Information is useful but I think a little dated.

Useful Resource #3 - Online Generator

https://msurguy.github.io/cnc-text-tool/
Interesting, potentially useful, but tedious IMHO. It will generate an SVG for the text you want.

4 Likes

I encountered a relative lack of single-line fonts when I made my ascii art program, and I ended up making my own custom one by tracing semi-manually in inkscape.

I am curious how the SVG fonts are built, even if they are “obsolete”, having support in inkscape would be enough for them to be useful and I might trace a few existing fonts manually just to have them available. Together we might be able to assemble a tiny library of a dozen or so fonts, maybe more.

Awesome list of resources thanks! Will come in handy next time I am doing text.

I got inspired to check out how to do this in fusion and found .SHX fonts.

Here are some links

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/where-are-shx-fonts-stored/td-p/7952567

1 Like