Stumped

Anyone know why a Power Supply would start buzzing when plugged into Mega 2560 / Ramps 1.4? Everything is new Power supply/ Electronic boards. Quits buzzing when Electronics disconnected. Voltage is 12.07 DC. Started buzzing after moving X axis from TFT

Power supply or the board/steppers? The board and steppers make noise, not usually the power supply so much.

I’ve had 2 wall wart power supplies buzz before, one died and the other melted.

This one is 12V 20A Universal Regulated PS, changed PS because I kept blowing 5 V regulator on Mega 2560. 3 of them, so tried new PS. no noise till I plug in electronics. MP3DP-V2 has been running good for 2 years, then started blowing 5v regulators. only parts not changed now is stepper motors. any way to test stepper motors, they move when supposed to but could they maybe draw too much? But that should blow A4988 drivers, correct?

The stepper motor don’t use 5V and they are really dumb. The stuff on the 5V is the Arduino, the endstops, the screen. A writing problem with the endstops is the most common reason they break (besides just cheap regulators on the mega)

cheap capacitors can cause power supplies to buzz under load. They usually don’t last long once they start doing that.

Thanks, will keep checking. the pitts when deaf in one ear and only 60% of other. will get someone with better hearing to help locate buzz.

1 Like

Problem solved. I feel dumb. Neighbor, who can hear came over, Wasn’t the printer at all. The electronics on printer causing interference with wireless intercom between garage and house. changed channels and all is quiet now. sorry for hassels

3 Likes

It’s a bummer you had to go through that but…for us, it is a new one! We have had all sorts of random noise issues but never an intercom system. Learn something new everyday.

Yup. I don’t think I ever would have guessed that one. We use Alexa for our intercoms.

Are you sure it isn’t the intercom just picking up noise?

Oh crud, I am too late :smiley:

1 Like

Oh you wish…that would be next level right there.

2 Likes