Stupid unused drivers question but I'm going to answer it anyway

I’m wiring up up my SKR V1.3 board. Just installed the TM 2208V3 driver pins.

I can see that the board supports five drivers, X, Y, Z, E0 , E1.

I can also see from the wiring diagram that wiring the two X and two Y motors should be done in series and not parallel. Fine, I’m not going to argue.

However after setting up X and Y and Z I have two drivers left over E0 and E1. My CNC machine doesn’t have an extruder, so why can’t those drivers be used for the second X and second Y stepper motors.

Any good reason or just not worth the trouble?

Another reason for this is that if you have a non rectilinear CNC system, and I suspect all of them are out by a tiny amount even a mm or so, you could calibrate the CNC based on a known scale and then drive the X, Y very slightly differently to compensate. I know that Klipper has a skew adjustment, suspect Marlin has as well so wonder if these unused drivers could be used for that.

I can’t imagine for a second this is a new idea, but can’t find any explanation elsewhere.

Many thanks

Rob

Check out the dual end stops option. It utilizes all 5 drivers.

You can calibrate your steps per millimeter to improve accuracy.

1 Like

@blainesgarage

Thanks. I had brought the end stops but hadn’t got that far in my reading, was planning to start simple.

Rob

Marlin won’t have a different scale for X1 and X2. It wil just home them to slightly different positions, to help with auto square. Same with Y2.

@jeffeb3

I need to work out which is the right system to use. Marlin vs Klipper.

I think I’ll try Klipper first as I like the idea of using the v1pi for the heavy lifting and keeping the SKR as a micro controller. I’ve got a Raspberry 3B lying around from an infrared project I did with my kids. The Unix stuff is the easy bit, the rest is the difficult bit, but I’m WFH so need an evening project to keep me sane :slight_smile:

Just looked at Klipper and can see that it’s flashed from the pi. Looks interesting, Your image has Octoprint and cnc.js. Do I use your image and then download klipper and work from there?

Rob

You could. You may want to use just the octopi image. I haven’t tried klipper myself, and I don’t think there is a klipper connection in cnc.js. I am not sure it will work with klipper. There is probably a guide for getting klipper to work on an octopi though.

There are guides for Klipper and Octoprint. Indeed Klipper requires Octoprint to flash the microcontroller as far as I can see.

If it’s proving difficult I’ll head back to the standard V1 firmware and work from there.

Rob