Suggestions on what to do next

I have my lowrider moving with the TFT enough to test just need to tidy up wires after I finish printing my case. After reading some forum posts, I’m now a little confused on what to do next. I have the SKR PRO v1.2 with the TFT35-E3 V3 I installed the latest firmware from V1 Github page, and would like to try the crown test. Should I be using Repitier, Estlcam V11, Estlcam CNC Controller V11 (they both came with the download) CNCjs? I’ve heard so many softwares mentioned, but being CNC ignorant, I don’t know which does what and which is compatible with my hardware.

Ryan has a good writeup of the software workflow.

The Estlcam CNC Controller V11 is not compatible with the firmware/controller.

Both Repetier and CNCjs can send gcode to the controller, but Ryan recommends starting with Repetier.

Estlecam V11 is used to generate Gcode.

1 Like

Ok, great, I think that is exactly what I need. I knew I had seen something like that in here somewhere. So anytime you run gcode, you do it from a PC, not an SD card like 3D printing? I downloaded Repetier and it says an active internet is always need, so I’ll have to order a wifi adapter for my PC and install it in my basement where the LR is located.

You can run the gcode from the SD card. I tend to forget about that.

There are others who will probably be able to offer more help than I, but those links are a good start.

I realize one of the links is to MPCNC rather than Lowrider build instructions, but all of the software is identical.

I happen to use a somewhat different software toolchain, which is why others might have more insight.

I use Linux at home, and prefer open source options where possible, so I’m using FreeCAD for both CAD and CAM. I use CNCjs on a V1pi to send gcode, and my controller is a tinyg (acquired secondhand before I discovered the V1Engineering CNC’s)

1 Like

I also use and prefer Linux but I do have an older Win 7 pc I use for things not supporting Linux. I didn’t see good support for Estlcam, but I also didn’t know FreeCAD had CAM functions. I typically just use FreeCAD to convert STEP files (from places like McMaster-Carr) to stl and use Blender to model items to 3D print. I’ll definitely look into the CAM function for FreeCAD, thanks for that tidbit.

I run estlcam in wine in ubuntu 18.04. I haven’t upgraded yet to 20.04. it isn’t perfect (the doi on my monitor makes the fonts really tiny).

1 Like

In FreeCAD parlance the CAM functionality is called the “Path Workbench”.

A developer who goes by the moniker “Sliptonic” has some youtube videos that are the best tutorials I’ve found on the Path workbench.

The Path workbench has had quite a few improvements recently, so a few details in those tutorials may be out of date…his most recent video covers one of those updates.

I think it’s probably worth using a recent 0.19 version to get the benefit of those improvements if you’re interested in checking it out. Despite being beta software, the daily snapshots are generally pretty solid…

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea McMaster had those available. That’s pretty darn cool.

1 Like

I ran my MPCNC for over a year strictly off of the SD card.

I only recently added a Pi to run cncjs on and control it through that.

You should be able to copy the crown to the sd card, zip tie a pen to the machine, and run it.

1 Like

I only ever ran mine off the SD card. No need for wifi or added costs. It worked just fine, and I’d recommend it especially if you need to spend money to get wifi and tethering going in your shop and would prefer to avoid it.

1 Like

How anti-consumerism of you. :slight_smile:

I’m going to try running the crown test from the SD card, until I get the enclosure and mounts printed and wiring buttoned up, since I’m impatient. Thank you for all the helpful replies.

Ha ha, I think that we’re all here says we’re doing our part just fine. Who really neeeeeeds a cnc at home :grin:. I know I want one!