Swapping bits out between passes.. Best method?

I have several cutting paths saved in a single file - a roughing pass & then a fine detail pass.

After the rough pass has completed the head lifts up and simply pauses. I’d like it to move back to it’s starting point away from the material so I can change the bit and then continue.

Note: I’m running Aspire 10.5 & Repetiier
A low Rider 2 without end stops so I simply position the bit in the corner of the material and hit
START PRINT.

worth noting… There are some jobs where I keep the same bit but simply want to swap the material for another piece and then continue to the next pass… eg. I Vcarve some letters on one side of a block o wood and then rotate the block to another side then start the next cut. Having the bit sitting directly over the block makes turning the block over near impossible. I htought there might be some G-code I could load up or some magical check box in Aspire maybe ???

Since you’re using Repetier, I think if you use the Pause button in the Repetier interface you can do whatever manual moves you want and when you Resume it will return the tool to where it was before restarting running the gcode.

@ttraband I’ll try hitting pause & making manual moves but what I would really like is the ability for the bit to return to its starting position automatically. This way I can simply rotate the wood block & hit start again & the 2nd tool path should execute.

This poses an interesting challenge regarding Swapping bits out automatically.

Here’s a scenario that could be achieved.
Swap out the entire router with bit attached… to incoporate a DUAL ROUTER SETUP

This would be possible with a mod to the LR2 Gantry -
Perhaps simply have a 2nd router drop down & the other lift up on a sea saw pivoting mechanism that provides just enough clearance. Adjust code to cater to the change in bit position & you’re back into it…

Edit -

Only requires some way to lock the router in place once dropped down into pos.
as per image below.

LR2_DuelRouter_v3

I might start a new forum thread regarding this…

I’m sure it’s possible in aspire but I’m using estlcam and there is an option to add in gcode during a tool change. I only have a couple lines of code but it returns the machine home, then pauses, this allowed me to drive the machine to a clean location using CNC.js and then I change the bit, hit play which causes it to probe and adjust for cutter length. Then it pauses again allowing me to install the dust boot and turn on the router. After that it cuts the rest of the part. The whole process only takes about a minute or two.

Alternatively you can just make two different cut files, one file with one bit. The other file for the different bit. This would cause the machine to return home and allow you to do whatever it is you need to do before switching bits.