Table builds sticky?

I’ve searched on this forum for table builds (and I realize it can be done in many many ways) but I haven’t yet found a “recommended” way to build the table for the lowrider.

If you guys know of any good table builds that have been posted, or maybe you haven’t posted about your table yet…and then maybe we could sticky this?

I’m a coder, machinist, and really half-assed woodworker. I need all the help I can get in that department lol

We stressed about the table when Ryan first cam out with a design, but it really hasn’t been a problem on any build I’ve seen. It can’t be too thick (or else you need to attach rails for it to ride on that aren’t as thick). There is a calculator for determining the size. You lose a out a foot in each direction.

I think you could make a 2x4 frame, attach a sheet of plywood or mdf on top, and then build some legs (with some cross bracing) and be done with it. If you spend less than $100 and a few hours building something, you can’t be upset if it isn’t perfect, and you’ll have a cnc to help you make the next one (and you’ll learn a lot).

That’s my current perspective. If you do that, post it here, and hopefully the next person can appreciate what worked and what didn’t.

1 Like

I’ve built three tables so far. All have worked well with the best being my first table which was just two sheets of mdf leveled atop an old dining room table. The factory edges on MDF virtually assure a decent Y-Axis. The second was a unistrut - didn’t like that much (just not for me). The current version I’m using is a full sheet capable Paulk assembly box. Very rigid, but I messed up a bit and the Y-Axis has a subtle dip in the middle.

I’d like to try a wall version or fold-up of some kind next. Geek out, have some fun. When you build one table and get the lowrider going it is really easy to build another.

And to your point, a recommended first build table would be helpful though I think my vote would have to be just a couple sheets of 3/4 MDF on a moderately stable surface.

1 Like

My paulk style has a bit of a twist to it.

1 Like

But then, don’t we all?

1 Like

Some more than others!

1 Like

The smaller the table the easier it is too. Like jeff suggested a basic lumber box with a sheet of mdf on the top will go a long way. If you have access to a jointer and planer all the better.

I have neither of those fancy options but did cut my lumber as best I could to a dimension and made a quick torsion box with a top and bottom of mdf. I’ve made two tables as well, on my second smaller table i also went the additional step of surfacing the cut area.

I’d say the flatness of the top when it’s all done is the part to focus on, but you can surface them and remove some of the curves afterwards. Most everyone has also done some description of their table in their build threads.

The only screw up would be to make a table that is too thick height wise, but even that can be remedied without too much effort.

1 Like