Table idea

Most of the time, the CNC isn’t in use, or at least not requiring me to be actively doing something (it’s just cutting, etc…) But it does take up a rather large amount of space in the shop… I wonder if creating a table like this, and having it mounted permanently to the bottom would work. The bottom would likely need more supports to prevent racking… but, as a general workflow. Bring the machine up, clamp in wood, align router. Lower it out of the way, hit play to start the cut. Then have the upper table available to work on again.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I just discovered that guys channel btw. Very cool.

1 Like

Absolutely. I had the same thought when I saw it. I was actually looking for a bed/desk project to save some space for the kids.

I was hoping to see a build video of that actual bench on his channel, but couldn’t find it. Either way, doesn’t look too complicated.

I think it would work great, except I would never get to the CNC because I would spend all my time cleaning off the junk I put on the top.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah… I’ve considered that… but I think it would make a good spot for assembly and finishing… I’m working hard to not pile stuff up on my work spaces… I have another bench for that :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t know, @jeffeb3 the more horizontal surfaces the merrier I say! but the “bottom” bench wouldn’t ever get used because it would be so chock-a-block full of stuff I’d need a car jack to lift it.

Big linear motors.

This has opened an entire can of worms in my brain!

What if the bench formed the top of the dust collection enclosure, and the cnc unit was simply at a much lower level than one would normally expect?

Perhaps an entirely new thread is called for!

2 Likes