Tachout Build - Sandy Utah

OK Been away for way to long. Need some help/advice. This problem came up and got me to abandon my project. Just had the bench in the garage in the way all winter. So now it is time to get back into this. I have it all built and set up. Was ready to do the crown test and then get after it and paused. I went to take a short video of it moving under its own power to share on facebook and ran into this. I moved the machine to what I am going to call home (lower right on my table.) Shut machine off and restarted it so it understood home. Then I moved the machine all the way down the table to the far right corner or basically max travel away. From there I wanted to set up for the video and tell it to go home so that it w0uld travel max x and y and also z as I also raised it up on the z to a decent height. It traveled about half way it X and errored out. Do not remember error but just stopped. I am guessing I just need to tell it how big the table is but have no idea how to do this. From there I want to write a program that will tell it to go from 0,0,0 to max x, max y, max z and return to home so I can video it moving back and forth. Then move onto the crown test.

Can anyone help me?

Iā€™m not a gcode wizard but you will need to know how far your x and y can go first from your chosen home position. Once you know that you can create a gcode or draft a simple point file to use and let it fly.

Nothing is broken. The homing routine in the firmware has a ā€œsanity checkā€ max move limit. Youā€™ll need to set your actual table size (Homing and Bounds sections), or start the axes closer to home before using the automatic homing routine.

I do most of this stuff by editing the firmware configurations, but there may be gcodes that can set it as well.

1 Like

Can we auto home without end stops? If I auto home on my no end stop table itā€™s game over and restart time as my steppers keep driving trying to find the end stops. Itā€™s a bad scene.

Once itā€™s running I could code a home move in a run program but with my lcd I didnt think this was possible. Iā€™d be curious to hear more if it were.

Good point. I assumed end-stop switches were installed before trying to use the home routine.

? I think most of the lowriders are built without endstops. I know some people have incorporated them but I think itā€™s less common.

I donā€™t see end stops in the parts kit picture above.

Hereā€™s a little gcode I wrote to test / demonstrate my Lowrider. My machine has only a ~750mm x ~2500mm working area, so the code reflects that. Most Lowriders are bigger than mine, so should work on most machines.

Iā€™m unsure how Marlin will interpret the arc (G2 and G3) commands. Iā€™m using a different controller. One of the Marlin experts might know.

G17 ; select XY plane
G54 ; select coordinate system 1 (ā€œnormalā€ coordinate system)
G90 ; set absolute motion mode
G21 ; set units to mm
G1 Z10 F200; raise Z 25mm
G1 X2000 F1200; move to X = 2000mm
G1 Y750 F1200; move to Y = 750mm
G1 X0 F1200; move back to X = 0 Y still at 750mm
G1 X2000Y0 F1200; diagonal across table
G1 Y750 F1200
G1 X0Y0 F1200; Return to origin again diagonally
G1 Y625 F1200
G2 X250Y375 R250 F1200; clockwise 90* arc 250mm radius
G3 X750Y375 R250 F1020; counterclockwise semicircle
G2 X1250Y375 R250 F1200; clockwise semicircleā€¦weā€™re making S turns down the X axis
G3 X1750Y375 R250 F1200
G2 X2000Y625 R250 F1200
G1 X2000Y750 F1200
G1 X0 Y0 F1200
M1 ; program end

test.gcode (688 Bytes)

What command did you use to tell it to go home?

G1 X0 Y0 Z0
Should work.

G28
Wonā€™t work, unless you have endstops, and it wonā€™t work from the extreme end of the table unless your firmware has been compiled with a BED_SIZE bigger than or equal to your actual work size.