Temple Texas Primo build (Upgrade from a burly)

Almost home! Got endstops installed and wired, motors wired, cable chains done. Also dialed in perpendicularity of router to 6 thou. Now just need to plug cables in to SKR board and begin testing. I used all the same cables from the burly build so it should just run without problems. Excited to cut some wood tomorrow.

View from the back of my build.

8 Likes

Nice and clean. Looks good.

Primo moves!

How do I get the youtube video to display here in the forum?

Dual endstops auto home demo here.

Just paste the link.

Looks like this.

Just paste the link.
https://youtu.be/2X3bBj2Xdk8

Awesome, super excited to see it moving

Thanks, got it.

Carved “token crown” into a piece of mdf which I then spray painted white and quick sanded. Didn’t have a pen mount and wanted to get the machine dirty anyway.

Crown is 6 inches wide and I only went a millimeter deep to check flatness of my setup. Happy with table flatness.

3 Likes

Final check after all adjustments complete. Five inch square is dead on as are the 1 inch circles. There is perfect registration on all objects. Thanks again Ryan for a great design. I am now going to put this puppy to work!

6 Likes

Those cuts do look pretty good.

Well now we just need another person or two to finish their builds with the same results so I can release the hardware kits and recoup some of the R&D time and money.

What drivers do you have in your skr?

What program are you using to generate your gcode?

I have the TMC2209 drivers. Extremely quiet but overkill when router and vacuum make so much noise. You can barely here the machine move.

2 Likes

Inkscape for design and Estlcam trial version for gcode generation.

1 Like

On a CNC, I turned off the silent step features so I would always get full torque. There are a couple of neat “features” that don’t really make sense on a CNC.

I turned that off but did do 80% for the waiting torque or whatever they call it. I can’t imagine the non moving axis to need that much power. Who knows though, hard to test.

Marlin doesn’t support Idle current. That’s lame. On my printer I have it set to like 20%, kills the stepper hiss when it’s just sitting there.

I remember a thread where someone thought it was reducing the torque on the Z motor while milling, because the Z was staying still. The Z was dropping while milling. I can’t honestly remember if that fixed it, or we just suspected it and we found something else.

I turned off the “StealthChop” option assuming that is what you are referring to in the Marlin configuration files. I spent most of the rest of the day trying to get Marlin to quit releasing the motors after the job completes. I turn my router on and off manually and when the job completes, the router drops to the surface if I don’t catch it first. I went through every configuration option I could find in the Marlin configuation files. I must have built and rebuild the firmware 15 times trying to find some relief, but never could get any of the X,Y, or Z axis to stay energized after the job.

I finally added gcode to move the router to back left parking spot and placed a block there to catch the router when it falls so as not to drive the spinning bit into the table.

Here is the last configuration I used that still didn’t work.
----------In configuration.h---------------
// Disables axis stepper immediately when it’s not being used.
// WARNING: When motors turn off there is a chance of losing position accuracy!
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false

--------In configuration_adv.h----------
// Default stepper release if idle. Set to 0 to deactivate.
// Steppers will shut down DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME seconds after the last move when DISABLE_INACTIVE_? is true.
// Time can be set by M18 and M84.
#define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 1200
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_X false
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Y false
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Z false // Set to false if the nozzle will fall down on your printed part when print has finished.
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_E false

.//In SD section
#define SD_FINISHED_STEPPERRELEASE false // Disable steppers when SD Print is finished
define SD_FINISHED_RELEASECOMMAND “G0X40” // Use “M84XYE” to keep Z enabled so your bed stays in place

I am looking for suggestions as how to solve this though the parking option works ok,