Terminal block too small?

Got my MPCNC assembled and ready to test.
Went to grab the power brick, but the included barrel connector with the terminal block on the back is much too small for the included power wires. Am I doing something wrong here?

The included wire is much too large to fit inside here. I managed to get it to bite on the very tip of the wire, but it’s such a flimsy connection at that point I don’t feel comfortable with it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just cut then end off the power supply wire and use the bare wires. Skip that little thing. They cause more issues than they’re worth.

In case it isn’t obvious, unplug it from the wall first… :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah it looks like I am going to have to take those out of the box. Too many issues.

It wasn’t this exact scenario, but I managed to cut through a hot 115v circuit while wiring up my Lowrider. That loud POP! does get your attention.

I was putting all the AC stuff (a power supply for control board, another for a raspberry pi, and a spindle switch similar to the IOT Relay @jeffeb3 recommends) in one enclosure. I plugged it in to test it, and then decided I wanted to change something…

Sadly not the first time I’ve done something like that. I was surprised to find the circuit breaker didn’t trip. Turns out the GFCI actually works. 8^)

My son was 3 when we had a company come pick up our old refrigerator. The best deal we found was from the local electricity utility. They wanted old fridges off their grid, so they paid us some small rebate. Anyway. Their rules said to leave the fridge plugged in, because they needed to confirm it was a working fridge, but they were going to recycle it. They came in with wire cutters and they just cut straight through the electrical cord. Sparks everywhere, loud POP! Freaked my son out.

My son is 5 now, and I still hear him tell the story to anyone who is interested in electricity. He says they were very “irresponsible” and he’s still “mad at them”. Quite the parrot.

5 Likes

The event clearly made quite an impression on him. He probably has a healthy respect for electricity now.

I hope those guys didn’t make a habit of that. I mostly get a bit upset with myself over incidents like that, because the arc takes a divot out of the wire cutter. You’d go through a lot of wire cutters if you were doing that regularly. 8^)

Thanks, this should be fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Meh, I’m enjoying having another spare connector for LED strip lights so I just put it in the box with the other dozen or so…

1 Like