Testing Firmware for LR2 on a SKR 1.4 Turbo with TMC2209 drivers

Trying to build my Lowrider2…the SKR 1.2 from V1 was sold out longer I could hold out for, so I too thought that “It’s close, can’t be that hard, can it?” I picked up the SKR V1.4 Turbo Control Board Motherboard + TFT35 E3 V3.0 Touch Screen Smart Graphic Display + TMC2209 from Amazon. Now I realize how wrong I was. I have this zip downloaded, but can’t seem to find anything to explain how to get it on the microSD and then flashed. Is this only 1 file, the “firmware.bin”? I am stuck trying to find more detailed instructions.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
(My first project was the Arduino with CNC shield 3.0, running a completely homebuilt machine using Amazon parts. I cut my Y and router plates and several other small projects on it, but needed something bigger)

Thanks again!
Jeff

soo…I think I finally found some info…found the PlatformIO page, and followed that. I think I have the right firmware.bin file now…trying to tie it all together…
Wish me Luck!

Good Luck! And Welcome!

Yes, just the firmware.bin file.

And thank you for spelling Jeffrey correctly.

Did you manage to get this working?

I’ve been pulling my hair out with it for the last 3 days trying to get the Z to home in the max position… it just ignores the end stops with them wired NC/NO inverted or not. They’re working, tested with a multimeter.

SKR 1.4 turbo, Lowrider 2, dual Y/Z endstops.
V1 turbo DRV firmware editied to suit 2209’s

M119 isn’t showing Z1 max either? just Z2 max and Zprobe

15:12:38.291 : Reporting endstop status
15:12:38.291 : x_min: TRIGGERED (not connected)
15:12:38.291 : y_min: TRIGGERED (not connected
15:12:38.291 : y2_min: TRIGGERED (not connected
15:12:38.291 : z2_max: open
15:12:38.292 : z_probe: TRIGGERED

Any chance you could shed some light on it?
Thanks in advance!

There is an untested turbo DualLR versions of the firmware in MarlinBuilder releases. Is that where you got the firmware? Did you configure it yourself?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, that’s the one I used, just edited to suit the 2209’s and get it to compile (Monitor drivers, TMC debug, square wave stepping) and left everything else “as is”.

It threw up some yellow warnings while compiling related to a pin reassignment, but i assumed this was/is necessary to get the Z endstop assigned to the E0 port?

The Y and X axes home up fine, but the Z just carries on going ignoring the endstops.

Haven’t tried G38.2 for the touchplate.

Hmmm. I am guessing that is a bug. Are there any turbo people around that could take a look and see what I broke?

1 Like

I dont have a binary release yet, but this is a “latest” Marlin build. Still working out a few kinks, but seems to do the job in both milling and firin’ lazorz! (still working out Post Processors in Fusion 360 and Aspire that are actually non related to the firmware, I just want to be sure EVERYTHING plays well before releasing a binary firmware.bin)

https://github.com/TheExpertNoob/V1CNC_SkrTurbo_DualLR_2209/tree/bugfix-2.0.x

2 Likes

HI!
first of thank you so much for the work you have done, I’m just trying to setup my lowrider2 (1.4 turbo and tmc2208) and your firmware has made light work of this!!! just curious if you use the fan0(p2.3) to control your lasers? I was hoping to use this pin to control a relay for powering my router and vac. in your firmware the M106 and 107 commands are unknown, but when the axis are moved the pin appears to give out voltage, I’m stuck as to what you have done different as the pins file all appear to be the same
regards
Karl

M3, M4 for laser/spindle control, M5 to stop. I also have inline laser/spindle control enabled. (G1 X10 Y10 Z10 S255) turns on the laser/spindle at full power. G0 with no S command turns off the laser/spindle. M105/M106 are for controlling the fan yes, but I reassigned the “fan port” to laser/spindle control therefore M106/M107 become “unknown” as there is no longer a controllable fan.

I have not actually tested this with spindle control. P2.3 is the “enable pin” it may go full on in any M3,4,5 / G move. I control power/PWM with p1.24. You may need to turn off in-line laser control option for a spindle. I’m not sure.

Awesome! Just needed to swap out to 1.24 and all good. M3 M5 through console triggers the relay for power to the router. Will take a look at the inline part soon as when sending a cut file the 1.24 flicks on and off almost straight away. Onto the tft part next :+1::+1:

Turned off the inline laser control and all good the relay keeps running perfect!!

1 Like

Any chance of getting a firmware.bin file? I’m awful at compiling.

What’s your email I’ll send it later for you

I tried this firmware today for my lowrider didnt work… the firmware for LR skr1.4v dual end stops A4988 drivers… wasnt showning Z2 endstop with the M119 command, didnt stop at Z home, installed the TheExpertNoobs firmware, changed my screen to mine, worked first try… had to resolder my Endstops as His firmware is for normal open endstop…

I am back at mu LR after long. This seams to ne Perfect fit to my board and drivers.
Can anyone share picture of wire connections for dual endstops. I got lost a bit
Thanks

I was so happy to find this since i am having trouble getting my own kook up working for the same setup. So great disapointment since it is not working for me, it shows no connection…Installed from the firmware.bin from github. Tried twice now, no luck. I reinstalled my own and the mascine is back to live…Any suggestions to what could go wrong? Bad download? disconnect endstops?

And do feel free to point me to a guide on how to use github, that place is so confusing;-)

Tried again this time compilling your firmware in Platformio…same result: “No printer connected”… I can move the printer in Marlin mode but it never connects in TFT mode…

Is the serial port speed set to 250k on your screen?