The 'Black and Blue' LR3 build

No, no blocker. Not sure what’s going on. Can’t do it from my phone or laptop either

Also- 404 when I click your link. Login issue maybe (I do t have an account, so no login)

1 Like

Interesting.

Yeah, it seems you need to be logged in, that is new to me.

2 Likes

No problem, ill make an account, thanks

1 Like

Pulled this 12v 8 watt led off one of my quads, and hooked it up to a 12v pin… Might be overkill, lol

2 Likes

If you can get your hands on a couple 12v rgb leds the firmware will change colors from boot to job done…and not so bat signal bright.

1 Like

There are some cool videos out there of people making their stepper motors “sing” tunes. I swear my 3DP was singing something over and over while it was printing the core.

I have 32 feet of addressable RGB led tape… what pins do I need to use?

Thanks Ryan

Frivolous and chicanary, but I love it.

1 Like

I once printed a Star Wars figure that made the steppers sing the song while it printed. I should dig out the STL but it was a long time ago. One of my worst prints though, IIRC

1 Like

Open the firmware and scroll the very bottom of config.h you can set it all up there. Make sure not to use more than your board can handle. I did 12 just fine without any issues. More than that, I think you will need another bigger power supply.

2 Likes

Some time working on a couple things last night-

MicroSD to SD extension on the box for file uploads

Z-probe wiring and ESP3D macro working. I wasn’t really having any troubles with but changes before- just running gcode files as separate jobs- but this takes away a little of the fiddling with the z-axis after the second or third bit is exchanged.

Basically- job 1 ends with a G28 z command which homes Z to the top, then a G0 X0Y0 which moves XY to the start origin. Switch out bit, place the z-probe plate, hit the macro. It’ll drop down until it makes contact, sends a G92 Z0.5, raises Z 5mm so I can remove the plate.

As long as my consecutive jobs don’t start with a G92 zeroing command, it’ll pick up from there and continue.

1 Like

Do that in a text editor, then put the new file on card as FIRMWARE.bin and flash it?

Thanks Ryan!

1 Like

Hehehehe

Fun with lasers

Hooked up independent 12v in, and PC9 plus ground PWM. Temporary harness

From the tablet- in Terminal

Ran M3 I

Orange led popped on. Good sign

Took a few minutes to get it running but that’s only because I forgot about the safeties. Marlin only sends the laser PWM on G1 moves

So- set up a little 2.8mm thick piece of balsa and types in

G1 X25 F240 S250 and hit go

Single pass at 4mm/sec, 99 % ish power .

I was getting some reverberations in the module, due to the slow speed and the cantilever. Very regular periodicity.

That went away when I pushed speed up to 5mm/s. That’s fine, since I’ll be doing cutting of 1/4” at 6mm/s with 2 passes for a nicer cut

So happy right now, lol. Such an easy addition.

1 Like

No you have to recompile.

2 Likes

Uugghh

1 Like

Ok, now that it’s looking like I’m only a few days out from getting to really play with the laser- I’m thinking about enclosures and ventilation

The new design of the LR3 whereby it is entirely on the top of the table, is a real Benefit here. Since I don’t plan to be using an enclosure with the Router- my overhead dust collection prohibits it , and sound control isn’t really an issue - it needs to be either light enough to lift into position by myself, or ‘knock-down’ capable so that it can be easily assembled in place/ disassembled

I’m thinking about making 4 side panels using 2x2 material, rabbeted to accept 1/8” inch hardboard panels. I can recess
Magnets onto the corners, that will allow me to just click things into place . A top panel will contain a hinged lid, and an orange Perspex window, and a 4” port for extraction- porting out the nearby window. Back panel will need cutouts to allow the rail and the belt to pass through, and a gap in the bottom of the left wall for power cables and air line for air assist.

Now- heading downstairs to start on some
Measurements so I can do some calculations to see how heavy this thing might end up being.

1 Like

Got a little laser cutter bed put together, figured out the offsets for the laser spot compared to home XY and made a macro to move it into a convenient start point, then burned a little L denoting the front left corner of my bed for positioning.

Also wrote a little test macro for a ‘first burn’ a 25mm square, traveling at 240mm/min, 100% laser power.

3.2mm ‘laser’ ply, cut in 2 passes (+AA)

1 Like

You need to a get an air blast. If you have a compressor, you can get one for $10 on Amazon. My 2.8W is so much more useful with it, and the cuts are as clean as yours.

1 Like

I have a 30l/min air assist running every time I’m cutting.

Not sure I can handle the noise of the router, dust collection and my crappy 1gallon compressor running every 30 seconds during a cut

Curious what made you say that though- I thought my parameters were pretty good.

Also- air blast isn’t coming up on Amazon, other than toys or purifiers. Got another term I can search?

1 Like

Bluetooth safety ear protection. FTW.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I know. But it makes for a real noisy basement shop with wife WFH in the room right above.

I really should just ditch the crappy Ryobi pancake and get a California air tools vertical. But not in the budget right now

1 Like