Been using my newly built LR3 pretty much every day, cranking out a variety of practice stuff in plywood and hardiboard, but I recently went to my local lumber yard and picked up 9 bdft of walnut for a few projects.
One of the boards had a split at one end, and a gnarly rotted out burl knot- so I sectioned those pieces off at 20”, ending up with a 36” board, and a 6” x 5.5 cut-off
Been messing around with Carveco (3 months free trial, which is awesome) and came up with a nature inspired geometric pattern- the honeycomb hexagon.
So I used a 1/16” spiral down cut, and engraved it 1/2” into the piece - took all of 9 minutes running the bit at 3mm step down, 20mm/s.
I also took the same bit into my handheld router, and cleared out 3 of the cells (I forgot to save the toolpath for that job, lol)
Then I whipped up a batch of Totalboat high performance epoxy, threw in some copper and gold mica powder, and poured
24 hours later, double sided taped it to my bench, added a 1/8th round over with the router, and hit it with the ROS, going 80-120-180-220, before water popping to raise the grain, letting it dry and repeating the sanding.
20 minutes in a mineral oil bath, wiped down with a rag, then staged for a product picture for my company Facebook page
And viola! The ‘Honey Board’, which looks like a mini charcuterie board, but is the new cool fad. I hope.
Since posting, I’ve got orders for 3, including a custom engraved one, and may have an ongoing consignment order for 30/month out of an apiarist store in Tucson, contact through a friend!
Also- here’s how the other ends of the board turned out-