Thanks for all your feedback!

1 Like

Number #3, but they’re all pretty good.

1 Like

Made this one for myself…

12 Likes

Here are a few more…

5 Likes

I love the serious gamer one. Can you tell me how you got to that contrast? What kind of wood is it and did you stain it darker first so that the carving stands out lighter? Or what is your technique?

Thanks for the interest. It’s all super easy, but let me explain in exacting detail. The super short version is I think the “magic” is the Varathane Cabernet stain.

Step #1 - Wood

There is nothing special here. It’s just pine. However, interestingly, I asked someone else the same question here and I got that answer. I post a picture below, but I think I just went into Lowes or Home Depot and bought the first laminated pine shelf I could find.

Step #2 - Stain

I don’t prep the wood at all. I just apply Varathane Cabernet (Cabernet is the color). I have tried many many stains and this color seems to be a bit magic. I put it on any pine and I think it just looks good. Most people say the same. The stain takes at least 24 hours to fully dry but 48 hours is better.

Here is another random example of the same color on what is basically a fence board.

Step #3 - Poly

I then apply one or two coats of polyurethane. Strangely, even though the stain is oil based, the poly I use is water based. Seems to work fine.

One that dries, like 24 hours, I might lightly run a 400 block of sand paper over the stained and poly’ed blank to get it baby smooth.

I am not sure, but not only is my blank “finished” but I think the poly serves to harden the surface so there is less (no) chipping during milling.

Step #4 - CNC Milling

Now I just engrave but using what is a decent bit. I used a 60 degree from Lee Valley (https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/router-bits/46209-groove-bit-60-angle).

The natural pine is then revealed. I find that natural pine looks good against Cabernet.

Does that help?

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Yes! That helps a lot!
I just did my first V-Carve in oak (posted in the forum), but yours are an inspiration.

1 Like

Regualar oil based Varathane stain?

It looks like there is a “premium, fast dry” version too. Neither Home Despot nor Ace show the “classic” available in my area (via online search), but I can order the premium fast dry version from HD

I am not sure it matters. Get a small can and try it. I am assuming that the pigment is the same its just the “solvent” is different and hence dries faster.

I am in Canada, here is the HD screen shot.

Here is the US screen shot which appears to be fast dry.

Thanks @thejat. That’s basically what I was seeing too. Apparently we’re less patient south of the border. 8^)

It may not make a difference, but in my experience pine is hard to get a decent stain finish on.

The only way I’ve ever managed to stain pine and get a result I liked involved using a pre-stain conditioner. Every other approach I’ve tried results in contrast-y “tiger stripes” or dark patches, etc.

I’ll order a pint to try.

I made a sign as a gift that looked a lot like your Serious Gamer sign, but I was re-using wood that was already finished, and I have no idea what finish had been used on it.

I agree. I would also say that you still get some of that with this stain. If you look at the top of this thread there is an adventure sign using the same stain. You get “tiger stripes” but for the effect I am trying it seems to work out. I would say that this color seems to make it “look proper” more than say a color like Early American.

Let me know how it goes!

Made a coffee station. Signage by MPCNC. Water sign probably needs to be redone :frowning:

7 Likes

Very nice, but way too small for me. My espresso machine wouldn’t fit there, much less the grinder for it, and that’s ignoring the drip machine and it’s grinder, the cold brew machine, the pour over carafe, the Turkish coffee pot (Ibrik) and it’s grinder, …
And I’m ignoring the roaster and it’s stash of green beans. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. Since I built mine with 2x6, 4x4, and 2x4, and 1x6 I actually cannot lift it safely by myself.

Any bigger and it may force me to make friends just to move it.

2 Likes

So if you scroll all the way to the top of this posting you will of course see a bunch of signs. I probably made a batch of 10 or 12. The cool part is the local hardware store sold them ALL for me. Made about $300 bucks.

Obviously, there is nothing special about making a sign and selling it, but it is kinda neat that a person can simply google “MPCNC” and then like 6 months later turn in into a decent “side hustle”.

Having said that, I now made a batch of 15 signs. I wont post them all but here are a few. Let’s see if these sell!

8 Likes

Did you make the lamp too? Looks interesting!

Unfortunately, no. It kinda looks like one of those black pipe lamps you can make. This was an in store Costco find. They bring a bunch in and then you never see them again.

Sounds like a number of my favorites at Trader Joe’s.

Cool lamp though, as soon as I get a bit proficient with the newly minted MPCNC I’ll have to see what I can cobble together, I have a shade that’s been sitting in a closet someone made with cloth printed with Hot Rod flames that needs a home. :smile:

1 Like

You are gonna bring a tear to my eye. What the heck do you mean nothing special, that is THE most special thing about all of this. You have just about recouped your initial investment and soon it will all be pure side hustle profit. I know this is not the path for everyone but this is so freaking awesome for me to hear. You have a side hustle that is profitable…and you enjoy, and no doubt you have learned a thing or two along the way. You have just made my day, cheers!

6 Likes

WOW!
I do a lot of street festivals and craft shows selling a jalapeno corer.
After I get set up I do a lap around and look at all the things people are selling.
I can tell you that carved signs are few and far between.
Most of the time IF anyone shows up with signs they are vinyl letters on wood or painted on.
These vendors charge an arm and a leg for them, so not many sell.
One show I have done for the past 6 years and have set up across from a guy that does CARVED signs, nice looking but nothing like yours, the quality of yours are better.
He brings about 200 signs, sells almost all of them in 6 hour and leaves with a pocket full of cash and the empty totes he bought them in. Not to mention the custom orders he gets.
So
You do very nice work keep it up!

2 Likes